We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazunte o Huatulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mazunte o Huatulco

Hi everyone! I am going to Oaxaca and I wanted to get your opinion on Mazunte and Huatulco. My girlfriend and I will have a car to get around and we would like to camp and go to more virgin /wild beaches (with few people). Mazunte is supposed to be very nice and does appeal to me although it's getting very well known and touristy. However they also say Huatulco is pretty touristy too and more expensive. What attracts me to Huatulco is that it's a national park (so in theory should be cleaner, better protected and have more wildlife), and some of the bays look stunning.

Has anyone been to both places and can give me their take on them?

Thanks

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
5 replies to this topic
Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
998 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazunte o Huatulco

If pristine beaches with no people is what you're looking for, Huatulco would be the better option. There are several beaches that can only be reached by boat and many beaches with no, or hardly any, people. Can't camp on them though, because they are in the National Park.

Roberto

Hurricane Divers

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazunte o Huatulco

The distance between Mazunte and Huatulco isn't much more than an hour by car. In between are other beach towns of San Agustinillo and Zipolite and the port town of Puerto Angel. You will be able to easily explore and choose. You might not find a suitable camping beach, but you will find beach front accomodation ranging from a hammock outdoors to deluxe accommodation. This is well out of date but gives a flavour: https:/…Only.In.Huatulco.html

Mentioned in this post
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Zipolite
Zipolite
159 Reviews
Puerto Angel, Mexico
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazunte o Huatulco

Thanks for the information guys! Yeah I realise it may be difficult to camp on the beach unless we go to a very seculed (difficult to access) beach.

I checked on google earth and identified some beaches that look nice and maybe not so crowded. Near to Mazunte these beaches look nice: "playa aragon", "playa cometa", playa estachuite, playa la boquilla and playa temo. In Huatulco these look interesting: playa la bocana, bahia de cacaluta and bahia de maguey, playa san agustin (which has a campsite). If any of you have been to these beaches and can give me advice about them that would be great. We will be going in October or November. The huatulco beaches looked stunning but I realise access to the less touristy ones may be difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Mazunte
Mazunte
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
998 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazunte o Huatulco

San Agustin and Maguey are some of the busiest beaches in Huatulco.

Like Alegre said, you could simply pick a spot to stay and go to a different beach every day.....

Roberto

Hurricane Divers

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
230 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazunte o Huatulco

Are you back from Oaxaca and the coast? How did you find the beaches and which were your favorites?

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Reply to: Mazunte o Huatulco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted