We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
317 reviews
Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Hello all

We are nearly ready with our itinerary for Xmas and New Year. I was hoping for some thoughts for it:

22 arrive 23:30

23 Mex - Zocalo, Temple Mayor, Catedral Metropolitana, Palacio Nacional, walk to Palacio de Bellas Artes, Torre Latinoamericana

24 Mex - Chapultepec, Frida Kahlo Museum, Anthropology Museum, Museo Rufino, PM Plaza Garibaldi

25 AM Teotihuacan, PM Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe

26 Mex - AM Azteca Stadium PM Xochimilco

27 Bus to San Migel AM

28 San Migel

29 Bus to Guanajuato AM

30 Guanajuato

31 Fly to Mex City - New Years eve

1 Bus to Puebla (Cholula)

2 El Tajin

3 Peubla. Bus back to Mex City flight leaves 23:55

I have a few questions for experts:

1) Is it possible to do a tour of the Azteca stadium?

2) New Years eve fireworks are better in Mexico city or Puebla?

3) Is it possible to go to El Tajin in a day from Puebla? Tour or self drive?

Thanks for any tips!

Mike

Loreto, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Loreto
Level Contributor
590 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Your itinerary sounds over ambitious to me! Although you have grouped sites pretty well by area, I think you are lumping too many together, for instance, the anthropology museum is a days worth in itself. It requires at least 4 hours just to get an overview. El Tajin is in the state of Vera Cruz. It's definitely not a day trip from Puebla...in fact, it would pretty much take a day to get there!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

by the afternoon of the 24th you brains will have exploded.

too much into little time. Chapultepec with its national anthropology Museum and several other fantastic museums all within walking distance , along with strolling the neighborhood of Condesa and having fantastic dinner and drinks Will be plenty. to try to squeeze in Frida Collow museum is very ambitious.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

let me put it this way. your first days like this.

London

start at Trafalgar Square

visit Piccadilly Circus

visit the Buckingham palace

walk to the tower bridge

visit the tower of London

visit the British museum

go to the Tate modern

could you do that in one day ? I suppose it is possible , but far too ambitious you wouldn't enjoy it.

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
317 reviews
4. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Thank you for your replies. On the 31st we effectively have another day in Mexico city as its an early flight from Leon so some of the activities from 23rd and 24th can go on that day. That should split it up a bit more.

Its a shame El Tajin isn't a feasible day trip so that means more time in Puebla!

I'm wondering if anyone can help with questions 1 and 2....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
598 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

For the assuming they are open, that is way too many museums to bite off in a single day. Your might consider just the Frida Kahlo museum with a walk around Coyoacan and lunch in the wonderful mercado or one of the restaurants around the plaza area. And superb coffee can be had at Cafe Avellaneda.

Or, Museo Antropologia and Rufino Tamayo and if you find you still have afternoon time, definitely the museum in Bellas Artes and then on to Garibaldi in the early evening.

I love Puebla and it is truly a walking city. I could spend a week there just in Puebla. Do not miss the Museo Barroco and the Museo Amparo. And be sure to have at least one meal at La Casita Poblana on 16 de Septiembre.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Casona de San Antonio.

Forget about El Tajin.

Truthfully, I would skip Guanajuato and San Miguel this time around and focus just on CDMX and Puebla.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
598 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Additional Note: Besides the excellent guidance right here at Trip Advisor, you should get a copy of the following book before you leave:

" DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Top 10 Mexico City will lead you straight to the very best the city has to offer. Whether you're looking for the things not to miss at the Top 10 sights or want to find the best nightspots, this guide and its pull-out map is the perfect pocket-sized companion.

The guide is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, as well as recommendations for hotels, bars and places to shop. Rely on dozens of Top 10 lists, from the Top 10 museums to the Top 10 events and festivals. There's even a list of the Top 10 things to avoid.

You'll find the insider knowledge you need to explore this city with DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Top 10 Mexico City and its pull-out map. "

Edited: 7:11 pm, November 14, 2016
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Just seconding Jay's advice to spend time in Coyoacan, the area around the Frida Kahlo museum. Consider a trip to the museum a half or even a full day trip to the neighborhood.

Yes, there are tours of Estadio Azteca though I can't offer further details.

Edited: 7:28 pm, November 14, 2016
Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
317 reviews
8. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

Thank you for all the advice, looking forward to the trip!

Austin, Texas
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

You need a full day for the pyramids, though could do it in less time if you drove there or took a taxi (we took the metro to a bus terminal, then the bus).

10. Re: Mexico City and further afield itinerary help please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 29, 2017