We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering visiting Mexico City between Christmas and New Years. We'd return on New Years Day. Will attractions (museums, shops, restaurants, etc) be closed that week, and will the city be relatively quiet? Or is it a good time to visit? I know the weather is a little cooler that time of year.

Also, we typically rent an apartment when we travel - which interesting (and safe) neighborhoods should we consider staying in? My (relatively limited) knowledge is that Condesa is a good one. We live in NYC so are pretty city-savvy - just want to stay amongst cool shops and restaurants and bars - the Brooklyn or West Village of Mexico City, if you will).

Many thanks! Muchas Gracias!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

Hi, we spent last year's Holidays in Mexico City, it was not our first visit. Most attractions are open and there are special events and exhibits happening. It is busy and festive. It is also cool, you will need a jacket. It rained all day once. We rented an apartment in Centro, I believe Alameda, that we found on VRBO. We enjoyed it very much. We usually like The Red Tree House in Condesa but it was all booked at that time. We found that most upscale restaurants in Polanco were closed, however, you wont run out of options for good food. We both are walkers and I can tell you we walked all the way to Chapultepec and then Sumaya Museum and then to Polanco and had no safety issues. From the apartment we also walked to the Market and to Ciudadela. In short we used a taxi once because it started to pour. In conclusion, we had a great time in Mexico City, we always do.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
225 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

All of your questions have been asked and answered countless times on here. Why not just refer to those posts?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

Agree with #1. Many people leave for the beach but those that remain visit the tourist sites (which are mostly open) - so it can get very busy and crowded.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

With an interest in a Brooklyn feel, you will love Condesa and Roma.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

My experience has been that those residents who haven't left for points elsewhere for the holidays stick close to home and the city is less congested, less polluted, etc. it's also a time of year that Mexicans from other parts of the country visit the city and its attractions. Many businesses close for the time period and schools are closed. It's a nice time to visit. Days are pleasant. Nights are typically cool to cold.

6. Re: Mexico City between Christmas and New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 19, 2016