We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Mexico city

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Mexico city

We have 2 days in Mexico City.I was thinking of going to the zocola on the first,seeing Templo Mayor,Cathedral and then just looking arond the area and going to the department stores.On the second day I was thinking of doing Museo Frida Kahlo and then Museo Anthropologica.Does this seem O.K?

Can you please also tell me about Perisur?Where is it and what do they have there and when do they close?

Thanks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

My husband and I just spent 2 days in Mexico CIty this past weekend, and I'd like to recommend hiring one of the private tour guides. For $50 plus tip, he drove us from point to point all day. The trip to the pyramids alone was worth the money, since there he gave a very thorough explanation of what we were looking at. We hired him for both days, and crammed in a lot of sight seeing.

We found him (actually he found us) next to the Cathedral on the Zocalo. There are a few there, but ours was a nice guy named Marco Polo Contreras Lopez.

There is no way to see everything you want to see in 2 days, but having some one zip you around, let you out in front of the Basilica de Guadalupe and say "I'll pick you up here in half and hour" really helps.

sydney
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

Thanks KM for the address of Paulinas Beads.Do you know what the closest cross street is as C. Mesones looks very long on my map,also any idea how long it would take to walk there from the zocola?

Thanks,Trixi

P.S I'm the wife!

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

Trix Wife,

The store "Cuentas Paulina" is located between the streets of Isabel La Catolica and Bolivar. They open M-F 10-6 and Sat 10-5.

If you check in your map it is about five blocks south of the "Zocalo"; also the metro station Isabel La Catolica (line 1) is close to that address. The other beads store mentioned is also three or four blocks from the Zocalo (Main Square).

KM

sydney
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

Thanks KM for the direction to Cuentas Paulina.I'm excited to see this manual arts street as I actually teach art & craft and am curious about what they have.

Trixi

New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

I'm planning for a trip to Mexico as well - though we will likely not be going until late summer 2007.

In either case, I've found Travelistic to be pretty helpful in determining some of the things we want to do (not just for our trip to Mexico but also to France over the New Year).

Videos from Mexico here: http://www.travelistic.com/place/show/5086

Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
164 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

Trixytoo, I don't know if this will be usefull to you, but I don't know it you would like to spend your time in Mexico city going to search for beads at city center. If you are going to go to Taxco, there are lot of bead stores there, and I am not sure, but the only beads that Mexico produce are silver beads that from my experience are cheaper in Taxco, as in there are lot of silver workshops.

About museums remember that they normally open 10-5 and as they have said closed on Monday.

From Zona Rosa is closest to go to the zocalo and then to antropology museum as, the traffic in Mexico City is awfull. If you like museums, Bellas Artes and the Museo Nacional de Arte on tacuba are really nice museums and the architecture is great.

Frida Kahlo museum is in Coyoacan which is on the southern part of the city. If you like Frida Kahlo stuff it is also interesting to visit Dolores Olmedo museum, as she was Diego Riveras mistress, she has lot of his paintings and also some from Frida Kahlo, also Diego Rivera's Atelier can be visited in San Angel. All this museums are in the souther part of the city.

About shopping, it depends what you like, Antara is really expensive, and in Mexico, quality clothing and shoes are more expensive than in USA. What I have found is that european designer clothes, like Armani, Burberries and that kind of brands are cheaper, but when department stores start their cleareance sales that are at the end of december and on june or july.

Also be carefull when you walk in city center, don't wear lot of jewelery or expensive watches, and I don't recomend a lot buying from street vendors as their merchandise most of the time is chinese and of bad quality.

27. Re: 2 days in Mexico city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 16, 2009