We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to see the butterflies in December

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to see the butterflies in December

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be in Mexico City in early December for 5 nights. I have been to DF several times, but this will be my boyfriend's first time. We are trying to fit a lot of things in a short amount of time, and one of the things we would like to do is go for a day trip outside the city.

My first choice would be to see the Monarch Butterflies in Michoacan - is this possible to do in a day from and back to DF? If so, are there any tour companies that lead such trips? I was once in Michoacan for el Dia de los Muertos, and the butterfly sanctuary was still closed at that time. Is it even worthwhile making this trip at the begining of December?

Thanks for your help!

Mexico City D.F.
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to see the butterflies in December

Sabrina,

You've made an excellent choice for a day trip. My wife and I answered an ad in "El Universal" newspaper a couple of winter's ago for a bus trip to "Sierra Chinqua" Monarch Preserve in Michoacan, and it was one of the most memorable and rewarding days in Mexico. Regretably, I don't remember the name of the agency, but we were provided with the ride, two meals, and admission to the preserve for around $35 USD per person.

I believe we went in February. Early December might be too soon, but I really hope you can do it. Good luck, and I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Q

2. Re: day trip to see the butterflies in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 24, 2009