We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City Customs/immigration

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Anchorage, Alaska
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City Customs/immigration

We are traveling through Mexico City on our way to another Mexico destination. We will clear customs in Mexico City. Is the baggage system there similar to LAX, where you claim your bag and then drop it off again to continue your trip? Or do you need to physically recheck the baggage at the check-in desk? We are on Aeromexico arriving and departing Mexico City.

Thanks for much for any info!!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

Yes, similar to LAX (or any U.S. airport) - there is a check-in desk just past customs where you just drop off your bag.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

Just a few feet from Customs to the right you drop off your luggage. Then you go up on a escalator which is across the way. Then back through security which is a pain but no way around it.

There may be a lot of luggage piled there which could make one a little nervous but as long as it is properly tagged with your final destination it should make it.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

I don't suggest just dropping-off your luggage. My experience at the airport, including recently, is that the traveler is required to personally place the bag(s) on the conveyor belt. If you don't do it yourself don't leave the area until you see someone place the bag on the conveyor. There are two different terminals and the process may be slightly different between the two.

Anchorage, Alaska
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

thank you so much for the information......you have been a great help, I will travel easier now!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

As I use Aeromexico exclusively out of SFO to MEX I always land/depart in Terminal 2. So the above has been my experience.

Edited: 11:10 am, November 01, 2014
Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

Just to add little more information....

My wife and I had an Aeromexico flight from San Antonio TX to Cancun stopping in Mexico City. We had a little over an hour to make the connection. The line for foreigners was really long. The line for Mexicans was not that busy. The immigration people didn't seem to care. It took us a long time before a person from Aeromexico came looking for people with our connection. It was a MESS. They started telling people with our connection to get out. Well there were other people with other connections that also got out of line. They finally put us in the Mexican line but by then it was almost the same wait as the foreigners line. I believe Aeromexico DID not allow for enough time for the connection or they should have anticipated this and be there right away to help us get through quickly. NEVER again through Mexico City!!! Too stressful.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,688 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

I flew Aeromexico to Merida by way of Mexico City a few years back and cleared customs and immigration at Merida's tranquil airport.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

Well, times change and now you have to do it in Mexico City. You have to be really unlucky to get held

up there by immigration lines (they're not usually that bad) but I would always leave 2 hours for a connection because every flight I get on seems to be at least an hour late these days :))

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

Although connecting in MEX is not bad at all, I would look for a flight that has about 2 hour connecting time to be on the safe side. In all my experiences immigration moved fairly quickly and since the bulk of the passengers arriving on flights to MEX are Mexican, I've found the lines for foreigners to be pretty quick moving.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,688 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico City Customs/immigration

SteveDF

I think you're right, as I don't have that pleasant memory from subsequent visits.