We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some new ideas for Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need some new ideas for Mexico City

This will be my fourth trip to Mexico City for work, and as always I am planning to spend the weekend there. I've already done most of the "usual" sightseeing - the pyramids, the zocalo, xochimilco, museums, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for some out-of-the-ordinary things to do or experience? Most posts I've read are thumbs down on Cuernavaca. Anyone ever done the overnight horseback trip out of Tepoztlan?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

I too find that Cuernavaca is not nearly as interesting as several other places near Mexico City.

If you haven't been there, I highly recommend Puebla. One convenient thing is that there are direct bus to the Mexico City airport.

More info here

larpman.com/transportpages/…busairport.html

If you are intertested I can give you some ideas of what to do there.

san francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Thanks - I was actually in Puebla last time I was in MC. Took a 1-day cooking class in the Tlaxcala area and then a day trip to Puebla. I didn't love it as much as others do unfortunately - the streets right off the main plaza were pretty seedy. But the pottery and tour at the Urizarte (sp?) factory was amazing.

If I could get the flights to work I would love to go to Oaxaca, but can't get a late afternoon flight back to San Francisco, they all leave Oaxaca at noon or 1pm which doesn't leave much time for exploring. I'd would also love to get to Taxco but again, only having two days becomes a logistics challenge and you spend more time getting there & back than actually in the area.

I'm leaning towards a day trip to Tepoztlan. Any other suggestions?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

What about trips to: Valle de Bravo/Toluca or Malinalco; Morelia and/or Patzcuaro, San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato . . . or Queretaro? I think they're all doable as weekenders. If you've never been to Cuerenavaca or Tepotzlan, you could do both as part of a weekend trip; I don't like either place, though - as the choice of a repeat destination.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

I meant, also, to say that I don't suggest Oaxaca as a destination right now; probably not before the beginning of the new year . . . depending upon whether the violence/disruptions subside.

san francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Those are all 3-5 hour trips though (when you include time to/from the bus station to your hotel), which for me is too much for just a weekend since I'd have to leave no later than noon on Sunday to get back to the airport. I'd only really end up with one full day and a few hours in the morning to spend there which doesn't make sense.

I sent an email to the owners of the ranch outside of Tepoztlan that do the overnight horseback trips which sound very cool, will let you all know if this ends up being something worth trying.

Cuernavaca
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Cuernavaca is a great destination, there is alot to do in the city and nearby. Go down for a temazcal, a relaxing meal in a garden paradise, to visit musuems, take cooking or Spanish classes. There is quite a bit to do in the area and the people are friendly. If you are looking for outdoor adventure, you are right, you need to go just outside the city. You might check out Rancho Tepe for horseback riding. Or Foliah Tours in Tepoz for hiking, mountain biking, and riding

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Valle de Bravo is "muy padre," or very cool, as our Mexican tour guide assured us in August, when my 15-year-old son and I signed up for an overnight trip to Valle de Bravo from San Miguel de Allende, where we stay every summer. We joined an all-Mexican group that left SMA at midnight, arriving early in the morning at a waterfall in Avandaro (a town in the Valle de Bravo area). After a look at the waterfall we went on an hour-long cruise of the lake -- actually a manmade reservoir -- that makes VdB really special. There was food and dancing on the cruise boat, which made it really fun. We also had a whirlwind tour of the lovely centro. The houses are all white with barrel-tile roofs, sort of like Switzerland, and there are lots of indigenous people selling things, as well as some chi-chi stores angling for the business of the affluent foreigners who live around the lake. We also looked at churches, joined hands to circle an ancient tree, and were advised to have lunch at "Fonda Tonia," one of the stands in the market. Outside of town we stopped at a lush, luxurious Carmelite monastery and bought some jam and rompope (alcoholic eggnog) made by the monks.

If you're looking for a trip on horseback from Valle de Bravo into the surrounding woodlands and hills, check out this link: http://www.todovalle.net/ I don't know if you read Spanish, but it basically says you can go on trips of 3-5 hours to tour the area, or sign up for horseback excursions of several days. There were plenty of horses for hire at the Vela de Novia waterfall where we stopped, and our Mexican companions said the prices for horseback riding were cheaper here than in other places.

If you're into parasailing, waterskiing or sailing, the beautiful reservoir here offers all of that. Wish we could have stayed longer. I usually don't go on guided tours, but it was a great experience to go with Mexicans (who didn't complain about the bathrooms at the waterfall site, or the discomfort of sleeping on the bus) and a good workout for our Spanish.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Link to horseback riding in Valle de Bravo: http://www.todovalle.net/

(Sorry. I forgot it in my previous post.) Have fun, whatever you decide.

puerto rico
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

Mexico is a beautifull country with a lot stuff to do. You can take the bus and go to Taxco. Is a city like 2 or 3 hours for DF. Is is the state of Guerrero. Taxco y the spot to find jelwery. Another place to go is San Miguel de Allende i the state of guanajuato. In this month they have the sanmigueladas that is the same thing as the pamplonadas in Spain. They close the street an all the bulls start running. Also you can go to guanajuato that is an hour from san miguel and is like 5 hours form DF. Great place to go. Is very colonial and old. If you have been in Old San Juan in Puerto Rico, this is it!!!!!!!! Good Luck.

10. Re: Need some new ideas for Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 24, 2009