We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day schedule.. how does it look?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 day schedule.. how does it look?

Staying at an AirBnB flat in the Centro Historico

Day 1: Xochimilco and exploring downtown

Day 2: Piramide del Sol

Day 3: Chapultepec castle and Coyoacan

Does this plan make sense? How do I get around via subway to these places from downtown?

Thanks!

Mexico City
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

While there are unlimited possibilities and everyone has their opinion, it's cool if these are your interests and priorities. Just do the historic sites downtown and Chapultepec on the first day. If you're lucky, there may be an evening performance of some kind at the castle or the lake. Take a morning tour to Teotihuacan the second day (the metro won't take you there), and spend the afternoon/evening downtown. Have a drink on the roof terrace of Hotel Downtown, and a meal at one of several terrific restaurants in the same 16th C palace. On the third day you can combine Coyoacan and Xochimilco: start out early at Frida's house, Trotsky's, the twin house-studios, Anahuacalli, have late lunch on a boat in the canals, and end the afternoon at the Dolores Olmedo museum. You can get most of the way by metro or tren ligero, then local taxis are cheap.

BC
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

Problem with that is that La Casa Azul only opens at 10 and 11 on Wednesdays. Trotsky is 10 as well. I have heard about line ups at these places.

I myself cannot imagine being able to do all those things on one day.

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

First of all, thank you so much for the replies (specially to Alora T)! I am overwhelmed by how many I got!

Apparently I forgot to mention a couple things:

1. Although I am a museum fan myself, I am traveling with the type of friend who thinks that sort of thing is boring (why am still friends with her? It baffles me too.. haha) so that is why I did not include any.. nor fancy restaurants (despite being a big foodie myself)

2. I have been to Mexico before (very short stay too) and only got to see the Chapultepec Zoo, La Roma, Zocalo and Coyoacan.. and let me tell you, specially to those who have not been, Coyoacan is one of the awesomest places I've been to in Central America and thus why I put it on the list.. it has amazing restaurants, shops, interesting activities at the park, and hands down the most incredible ice cream in the world at Tepoznieves.

Having said that:

-I will definitely pair Coyoacan with Xochimilco.

-I am concerned about night activities: Mexico is known for its lack of security and specially women traveling alone. My plan was to hide in our apartment at night. Am I being unreasonable?

Am I missing anything?

Mexico City
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

Don't hide in your apartment at night. You will miss out on a lot of the fun. If you stick to the Centro, Zona Rosa, Condesa, Roma and Polanco, and use common sense, you will be perfectly fine. The city is statistically safer than Washington DC or Baltimore. There are tons of cheap eats for foodies, and a visit to one of the extraordinary museums will surely prove to your friend that they are not all boring!

BC
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

I haven't been to Coyoacan, but plan on going there on my upcoming trip.

I was wondering, Alora, if you think I should plan on seeing San Angel at the same time? I'm not sure that there is time to do both on one day? We like to walk around and take our time seeing things. It will be a weekday.

Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to get there by Metrobus (from ZonaRosa or wherever)? I'd like to be above ground.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

First, I am a woman. I lived in Mexico City when I was 23/24. I am also African American so I stuck out everywhere I went and everyone pretty much assumed I was a foreigner. That said, I went out at night alone and never had any problems. I do think you should use street smarts. There are certain areas I would not go alone, like Doctores where lucha libre is. I did go there with a female friend, who also stuck out as foreigner and we were fine. I usually would take sitos at night and not hail taxis. You can either call one, I am sure your host can give you a number of one they like, or go to a taxi stand and take one from there. Please do not let all the rumors scare you from what is a truly amazing city at night. As long as you are traveling with a friend, you should be fine. Condesa and Roma are especially lively and safe.

Regarding going to San Angel and Coyoacan in one day, completely doable. If you take the metrobus you can start in San Angel and then go to Coyoacan. You can take a taxi or a microbus between the two. If you are big a walker, you could even walk. I have walked between the two in the past, but walking a mile or more does not really bother me.

Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

Also, another reason I like Coyoacan is it is fun at night. There are nice bars there and easy to find taxi stands off of the main plazas. Bars and restaurants usually also can call you a cab, though it could be more expensive than a stand or even a taxi service your host might be able to recommend.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

Even if you friend doesn't like museums, you really should spend at least two hours there. It is one of the great museums in the world. You walk in a U shaped building through different times and cultures of Mexico. Each period also has its own outside area, so it is not stuffy at all. Skip the arts and crafts on the second floor and you will love it.

To get to the pyramids you can either pay for a tour or take Metro to the Terminal Norte stop and go all the way to the end at Gate 8 and look for the buses labeled Pyramides. They are very nice and the site is about 30 mikes out of the city. This option is actually faster and much, much cheaper.

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

How about fees? How much is the metro/buses? How much is te entrance to the piramids?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 3 day schedule.. how does it look?

The best option for the metro and metro bus is a smart card preloaded with enough to cover you for the time you are there. You can add to it if it runs out, but you won't get a refund of any unused credit. I am not sure on this, but I think you can both use the same card and swipe it twice. Not sure if it works for the tren ligero or trolley bus. It doesn't for the buses, which you pay on entry, and the fare varies according to how far you are travelling. Single tickets for the metro now cost $5P and you can buy a stack to save lining up all the time. You can only travel on the metrobus with the smart card and the fare is $8 I think.

You don't say what days of the week you are visiting. Bear in mind that museums etc are closed Mondays, with the exception of Teotihuacan. Xochimilco is only worth visiting at weekends, as are Coyoacan/San Angel in my view. You can visit the Dolores Olmedo Museum on the way to the former. yes, I know you said your friend doesn't like museums, but the grounds and the xolizcuintle dogs are worth seeing.