We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centro Historico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Centro Historico

So my fiancé and I will be headed to our honeymoon this June to Mexico City (for 9 days). My family as well as his are worried about the violence there. Would rather much visit a piece of our history than paradise (coastal areas). So this is why we decided to go there. My first question, how safe is el centro historico? We will be staying at the Hampton inn hotel, I guess it's an old 1800 building (which I am excited for). Also, what is there to do as far as tours go? We wAnt to see art and lots of culture. We want to tour the pyramids and other landmarks there. Are there islands that anyone would recommend? What would you or anyone recommend for couples celebrating their honeymoon? Any romantic places in the evening? I will be asking a ton of questions, thank you ahead of time for your input. :-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centro Historico

First off, Mexico City is very safe in the center of the city. We stayed with our teens in the Centro, rode the Metro, and walked everywhere and felt totally safe. The center city between Chapultepec and the Centro has plenty of security and lots of tourists and eyes on the street. Many other people may tell you that you would be better off staying in Condesa or elsewhere for a honeymoon because there is more nightlife and restaurants. We liked the rustic charm and age of the Centro, but people have different opinions.

It wasn't clear to me if you are staying in Mexico City the entire time or looking for other destinations or a beach town. I might suggest six days in Mexico City and three in Oaxaca, a short very nice bus ride away.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centro Historico

We will be staying all nine days in Mexico City. This is given to us as a gift. We are excited to see museums, art, and the history of our culture. Thank you for the input, this is very helpful. I know this will be an exciting trip!

BC
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centro Historico

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. You will love Mexico City.

Here is a great guidebook, you can get it online or perhaps in your local bookstore.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Mexico City

When you read the book you will have trouble deciding on what to do, as you will be very busy.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centro Historico

Well there are a ton of things to do and see at the City. But first, about safety, yes, I would say it is quite safe, just take the normal precautions (like having your bag closed and close to you). Near the Zocalo can get very crowded on weekends and you will at least be spending one here, so just be aware of your surrowndings and you should be fine.

For places to see, I guess you already have in mind some, but I would go to the Templo Mayor, check the Cathedral (religious or not it is a big and old building worth seeing since you are already there). Go to the Anthropology Museum (lots of history) and also the Castillo de Chapultepec (it also has a big history museum and the place is quite pretty). If you go on week days and in the morning it can be quite empty just with some tourist and a couple of schools doing school tours). You can also check what's going to be playing in Bellas Artes (music, dance). Just because it once was the tallest building in the City, you can go to the Mirador in Torre Latino.

Visit the Monumento a la Revolución (you can go in and up). Also take some pictures in the Angel de la Independencia.

Now thinking of tours, check the Turibus. They have different routes, so they can take you to different places of the city. I believe they have a food tour or something like that, but Im not totally sure, but anyways, you can ride one of those, ticket is good for all day so you can hop in and out where you like.

For restaurants and bars, there are a lot in the Centro or you can go to Roma, Condesa or even Zona Rosa (at least for restaurants). Depending on your preference there will be something you might like. (All of them are a short cab ride away).

I have a couple personal favorites, but none of them are really "mexican", but anyway. For a romantic dinner I like Bellini in the World Trade. It's on floor 45 and it rotates so at night its got a nice view. Can be a bit pricey (specially if you order wine or drinks) but personally I like it. Its not really on walking distance from the Zocalo but it's not far either.

I also like a small restaurant called Agapi Mou in La Condesa (this one is Greek), it's got a nice atmosphere and some nights they make traditional greek dances so I think it's fun.

But honestly, I would suggest just walking around and you will surely find some place you will like.

Congrats and I hope you'll have a great time!

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centro Historico

Thank you all, this is very helpful! :)

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centro Historico

All good advice. To focus it some:

In the Centro Historico, surrounding the zocalo, is the Palacio del Gobierno, Cathedral Nacional and the Templo Mayor. You could easily spend an afternoon here and all there places have tours of them. The government palace has great Diego Rivera murals, Benito Juarez's chambers and a very nice courtyard. The Templo Mayor are the remains of Tenochtitlan, the Aztec capital ransacked by Cortez and the attendant museum there is excellent. The national Cathedral is impressive in it's own right not to mention its leaning aspect due to sinking into the unstable ground underneath. Stick around for evening time to watch indigenous dancers celebrating at sunset.

For a honeymoon I wouldn't pass up a performance of the Ballet Folklorico at the Palacio de Bellas Artes. and a day spent at the national archeological museum is a must. While in the area a tour of the Chapultepec Castle is in order. Another day can be spent day touring to the ruins of Teotihuacan outside of D.F. An evening of flamenco or threatre in La Condesa, afternoon strolls through cosmopolitan Colonia Roma and a visit to Coyaoacan to see the Casa Azul, Diego Rivera museum and Leon Trotsky's house. Plaza Garibaldi is still fun with mariachis and tequila even though the neighborhoods behind it are a little sketchy.

After that there's all sorts of stuff: Floating down the canals of Xochimilco, the museo popular (Museum of Popular Art), cantina tours, indigenous foods restaurants (escamoles anyone)?

7. Re: Centro Historico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2015