We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area should a tourist stay in ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which area should a tourist stay in ?

We will be in Mexico City from 7th to 11th May 2014 - which is best city centre area for a tourist to stay in, with close proximity to shopping, entertainment, sight seeing, etc? Hotel budget around USD 200 per night.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

There are not many hotels above 200 USD a night. The more expensive ones are in the most expensive area (Polanco) or along Reforma which are both convenient for sights etc. Condesa and Roma are good areas for bars and restaurants. Generally wherever you stay you will find that most of the sights are within a 50 peso taxi ride (about 4 USD)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

Agree with #1.

I also think where you stay may depend more on what you want to see (and I mean for example, if you like a more modern area or older buildings).

Polanco is more expensive (in hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars, and shopping) but there are a lot of them. I would say also is the most modern.

Reforma has a combination of modern and older. It is also expensive and has the big hotel buildings (hence the expensive). Lots of shopping, cafes and restaurants. Along Reforma are also some museums.

Roma/condesa has another feeling, you can see older buildings and lots and lots and lots of cafes/bars/restaurants. Maybe not that much shopping/museums.

Near the Zocalo obviously the oldest buildings, and a different feeling from them. Shopping/cafes/restaurants and museums close by.

As mentioned before, if you stay on any of those areas you can go to another very easily. In all of them you can find night life, cafes, museums, restaurants and do some sight seeing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

How is the Downtown area as compared to Polanco and Reforma?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

I have been going to Mexico City several times a year for a dozen years and more, and like Roma/Condesa best of all. It has a slightly bohemian feel to it and is busy day and night and is still close enough to both the centro histórico and the Chapultepec museums to be convenient. There are several excellent upmarket B&Bs as well as the trendy Condesa DF hotel. It's also the best area for cafes, bars and restaurants. The centro is a lot livelier (and safer) at night than it used to be, with some good eating options.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

Veering to the idea of staying in the Centro Historico area at the branded Hampton Inn. Is this an old town area?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

Downtown is A VERY old area, Reforma and Polanco are modern.

Everything in the Centro is and old town area, hence the "Centro historico" name given to it.. That hotel is a colonial building. When I said that near the zocalo is the older area, I really mean it, the Templo Mayor are piramids righ in the Zocalo, so ther is a lot of history :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

It IS an old area. The Spanish building are from the the 16 & 17th centuries. The Aztec (Mexica) Templo Mayor is older still and right in the main plaza.

There is a lot of history in the Centro. There are also some very cool places to eat late night tacos and drink beer. (Cafe Corona) Centro is great for 2 nights. BUT... the VAST majority of nightlife is in Roma and Condesa areas. If you stay in the Centro Historico, you will end up taking taxis to the nightlife in Roma/Condesa. So I suggest this.

Spend your FIRST night in the Centro Historico (Holiday Inn is nice) enjoy the history and rooftop views.

THEN, move to Roma or Condesa and enjoy the GREAT nightlife and food and cafe scene. Roma and Condesa are more artsy, Bohemian and FULL of cool, fun people enjoying life. THe Centro is very quiet at night in comparison.

This way you get both OLD and NEW Mexico. ;-)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

On the Google maps, the Roma area you mentioned is around 15i km from Centro Historico!! Am I getting the wrong Roma area?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

"Colonia Roma" is less than 3 km from the zocalo.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area should a tourist stay in ?

Here, take a look at this map: https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Museo+del+Templo+Mayor,+Seminario+8,+Centro+Hist%C3%B3rico,+Cuauht%C3%A9moc,+06060+Ciudad+de+M%C3%A9xico,+Distrito+Federal/Colonia+Roma,+Cuauht%C3%A9moc,+Mexico+City,+Federal+District/@19.4254036,-99.1454588,15z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x85d1f92d7281d1dd:0x8c90beca651436b0!2m2!1d-99.131881!2d19.434604!1m5!1m1!1s0x85d1ff3d1aa3b363:0xb218748e34d93f03!2m2!1d-99.1616972!2d19.4164111 (Just copy and paste if you can't click it)

It says that (depending on exactly where on the Colonia Roma you stay) it is about 5 km to the Zocalo (I chose Templo Mayor since it is right in the Zocalo). It's not far, but if you stay closer to where the Metro insurgentes is, then you would be closer to the Zocalo, that is the general area you might wanna stay if you choose Colonia Roma.

Now, closer to Chapultepec (biggest green sport) there are two smaller green spots named Parque México and Parque España, that general area is La Condesa.

If you zoom in closer to Paseo de la Reforma, you can see lots of streets names starting with "Rio", that area is Polanco.

Closer to the Zocalo, you'l see a street called 16 de Septiembre, and that is where you can find restaurants and general atracctions in the Centro area.

Hope that helped.

Edited: 5:37 am, March 17, 2014