We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should I divide my 2 week vacation?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
149 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How should I divide my 2 week vacation?

I will be in Mexico for 14 full days (15 nights) for vacation this Spring and am trying to figure out how I should divide my time among Mexico City, Puebla, Oaxaca, and Puerto Escondido. I am flying into Mexico City and out of Puerto Escondido. I spend 2 days in Oaxaca about 10 years ago but will be visiting all the other locations for the first time.

Based on what I have read so far, I am thinking about 4-5 days in Mexico City, 1-2 days Puebla, 4-5 days Oaxaca (and surrounding area), and 2-4 days Puerto Escondido. Does this make sense? Are there other places I should be adding?

I enjoy exploring towns and cities more than sitting on the beach but would like a little time to really relax at the end. I don't want to be constantly running from place to place and know travel time will eat up a few of my days. I will be traveling on my own, speak elementary Spanish, am on a low-mid budget, and have traveled a bit before in Latin America.

Any suggestions/thoughts are very appreciated!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should I divide my 2 week vacation?

Your plan is reasonable and has you going in the same general direction all the time - no jumping across a big country as we see often. I also like your outline as you seem to like the historic town aspect and then will end up with some fun beach time and Mexico's surf beach.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should I divide my 2 week vacation?

Great trip! I would recommend five days minimum in Mexico City, there is so much to see and do. Puebla can easily be seen in a day and a half. Nearby Cholula is worth a short visit. Oaxaca is wonderful, but can be seen in three days pretty well with a side trip one day to Monte Alban one morning and a side trip to Mitla/Yagul/Tule another day. Puerto Escondido is great and just touristy enough without being like the big resort towns. If you are taxing the bus there is is a long, but beautiful trip so you may want extra time to relax.

3. Re: How should I divide my 2 week vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 22, 2015