We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Mexico City

I will be staying off the Zocalo and plan to take the metro to the Anthropology Museum. When I'm in new cities I like to walk a good bit and I am thinking about walking back to the Zocalo at the end of my visit at the Museum. It looks pretty straight forward and doable (about 4 miles). Is the walk up Paseo de la Reforma a nice walk or just a heavy congested traffice route? Any alternative route suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Mexico City

Yes, most of it is a nice easy walk. I believe on a Sunday Reforma is closed off to cars so that would be a good day to do it!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Mexico City

Agree, walking back to your hotel would be a nice, pleasant walk and you would find it interesting. Reforma is closed to cars until 2 pm on Sunday and people watching can be fun - lots of bicycles and roller skates. Just go towards Bellas Artes on to Juarez leaving Reforma when Reforma turns left (near the Excelsior newspaper office and Loteria Nacional) to keep in the tourist zone and keep seeing interesting things. Sunday has one minus. The Anthropology Museum is free for Mexican citizens on Sunday and therefore more crowded than other days. Otherwise anyday is great except Monday when the museum is closed.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Mexico City

Getting to the museum by metro is not the best way to go, as it involves three long changes and the nearest station is a way away. Better to walk to Reforma, or take the metro to Balderas, and then take almost any bus heading south (marked Km 22 or Auditorio, not ones that only go as far as Chaputepec). You will be dropped right outside the museum

London, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Mexico City

Hi :)

I used to live around there and whilst I think some of Reforma is a nice walk, not all of it is and Mexico City is pretty polluted. I'd say definitely walk from the museum down to the Angel, that's worth seeing, but otherwise it might be a bit of a long and not particularly pleasant walk.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
288 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Mexico City

We didn't go all the way to the museum, but we walked from our hotel on the Zocalo to Chapultepec Castle and back. We took Reforma all the way on the way there, and on the way back we meandered through Condesa and Roma then cut back to Reforma around Insurgentes metro station. We found it a pleasant walk. The sidewalks are wide and separated from traffic almost the entire way. We walked it again up to El Angel on Sunday when it was closed to traffic and it was a very nice way to see the area, and the best way to get good pictures of the Angel.

6. Re: Walking in Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 26, 2015