We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Hi, I plan to take an two weeks holiday in January.

The plan is to do a multi-centre and holiday in Jamaica and Mexico City (Fly from Glasgow to Mexico, then Mexico to Jamacia, then back to Glasgow).

I'm trying to work out what the best number of nights would be in each. I realise it may be a bit of a random combination but we like to try and see a few places rather than just stay in one place.

Can anyone suggest a minimum number of nights required for Mexico City? E.g. to see a reasonable amount of the city, main tourist points etc?

Thanks, Brian

Insolitours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Mexico Bike Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Turibus
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

You would have to connect in Miami or Dallas or Houston or Atlanta to get between Mexico and Jamaica. There is no direct air service. It seems to me that you are looking for Cancun / Riviera Maya in Mexioo, which is a two hour plane ride from Mexico City.

However, if you want to visit Mexico City, a city with a population of 20 million, there are a wealth of museums and archeological zones. Five days seems appropriate. Fly in from Europe and arrive at night, spend five days, then one full day flying Mexico to your connecting airport in the US and then to Jamaica (Kingston, Montego Bay, etc.).

BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

I went to Jamaica once, what a waste of a holiday. I liked Glasgow much better! Why don't you pick one of the beautiful Mexican beach resorts instead, like Zihuatanejo?

I would say four full days at a minimum for Mexico City, but you could fill much more time easily.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Hi thanks for your replies. The flight options available to me mean it would probably have to be four full days in Mexico City.

I chose Mexico City as I have a BA Amex 241 voucher and itsin the same avios zone as Kingston. Also it seemed like an interesting place to visit. Also, it was the best choice weather wise to combine with Jamaica at that time of year.

Does four days give me enough time or will it be a bit rushed?

Thanks, Brian

Edited: 6:35 pm, February 10, 2014
BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Brian, the longer you have, the better. There is a lot to see there and it is a beautiful city. Do you have to decide right away? If not, get a copy of this book and go through it and plan out all your must-dos.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Mexico City

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Must you go to Jamaica? If you have a choice, better visit another beautiful Mexican city, such as Queretaro or Puebla. Mexico City is amazing, I recommend at least four days.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

I agree that 4 days is the normal "minimum" recommended to see Mexico City: 1 day in Centro (zocalo, cathedral, National Palace), 1 day Chapultepec (Anthropology muesum, Castillo, etc.), 1 day trip to pyramids at Teotihuacan, 1 day Coyoacan/Xochimilco (or simply recovering from days 1-3!). And do remember (as stated) that getting from Mexico to Jamaica will require a very long day of travel and considerable expense.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Many of the Mexican resort areas have beautiful weather in January and are easy to get to from Mexico City.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

Four full days (none travel days) is a good minimum. We saw a lot in 3 full days, but it was extremely whirlwind, and another day or two would have been nice. For nice weather, the southern Pacific coast seems to be reliably sunny in January, more so than the Caribbean coast.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

You need 4 full days in Mexico City. Some must do's:

Zocalo, Cathedral, Templo Mayor

Palacio de Bellas Artes (go inside and see the murals)

Monumento de la Revolucion, take the ride to the top

Basilica and Villa de Guadalupe

Castillo de Chapultepec and Museo de Antropologia

Coyoacan and La Casa Azul (Frida Kahlo's house)

Museo Soumaya

Teotihuacan pyramides (you can arrange a half day trip there, must hotels offer that)

Do Xochimilco only if you have time but I won't make that a priority. Do the others sites first

10. Re: Minimum Number of Nights - Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 02, 2015