We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs and layover time?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon City, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Customs and layover time?

Hello, I was wondering if I am flying in from the U.S. to Mexico City then catching a plane to Oaxaca if I would be going through customs in Mexico City or when I arrive in Oaxaca? I was also considering a One hour fourty five minute layover in Mexico City before flying on to Oaxaca. If I do have to go through customs is that enough time to still make my next flight.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs and layover time?

You have to clear customs in Mexico City. 1:45hr might not be enough.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs and layover time?

Maybe, Maybe not. I have had it take over 2 hours or as little as 45 minutes

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs and layover time?

It can be done if, your plane arrives at the gate on time. Look for an employee who may let you cut the line, you still have go pick-up your luggage and go thru customs, recheck it on the left and go up the escalator to your next gate. If possible try for two or more hours transit time and relax

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs and layover time?

We arrived late at night and from the time we walked off the plane until we were looking for a cab it was 30 min. tops BUT - our luggage was fast and we were 3rd in line at customs and we got the green light. Same thing on return at DTW, except that a 747 arrived from Asia right after us and the line-up went from 5 people to a few hundred in minutes. Ya never know!

Check and make sure you arrive and depart at the same terminal.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs and layover time?

Depends on whether you're booked on one ticket and whether you have to change terminals. More details would help!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs and layover time?

It can easily be done if you are ticked through to Oaxaca in the same itinerary and you are flying Areroméxico and

Delta. You stay in terminal 2 After immigration and customs just drop your bag off and go upstairs. If you are ticketed separately on Aeroméxico or another airline it may get hairy, especially if you need to change terminals.

Oregon City, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs and layover time?

Yes it would be all ticketed together. We would be flying in on Delta then flying Areromexico on to Oaxaca. It doesn't say anything about terminal. The reason we are considering this is cost, this flight is about 100.00 cheeper then other ones. We would be arriving in Mexico City at 3:45pm if that helps.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs and layover time?

You will be staying in one terminal (Terminal 2) and have one ticket with bags tagged through. So it is really easy - no worries!

9. Re: Customs and layover time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 31, 2014