We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

Leaving in a week for a wedding in San Miguel de Allende. Flying in to Mexico City due to only convenient connections and cost but also want to see more of central Mexico. We'll be in San Miguel for 4 days but have 2 more to explore at the beginning of the stay. I've spent a lot of time researching and kinda stumped.

Love to see Teotihuacan, Puebla or spend a day in central Mexico City. We're not museum/gallery people and I have a few thoughts I'd appreciate opinions on.

Is Puebla going to be similar enough to San Miguel that I can skip Puebla?

We've been to Coba and Tulum ruins on the Mayan Coast and loved it. Thought that Teotihuacan would be worth spending most of a day.

Lastly, flying into Benito Juárez fairly late after (10:00 pm) and wondering whether I can make it to a hotel near Teotihuacan that night or should I stay near the airport, then leave in the morning. Love to rent a car but I am getting concerned about being scammed by the rental companies. Had that happen in Italy and you are completely stuck when you get an extra bill months later, even though everything was signed OK when you dropped off.

Any other suggestions appreciated. Trying to avoid the organized bus tours as we've found you spend half the time running to all the hotels to pick-up people and limited time at the site.

Insolitours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Mexico Bike Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Turibus
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
691 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

Hi TravelDougA,

i would recommend that you spend one day in Mexico City downtown and Teotihuacan. Puebla is by far richer in its architecture , food and churches than San Miguel de Allende.

I would recommend to stay at airport In Camino Real or Courtyard by Marriot at Terminal 1 , at terminal 2 you have NH hotel. Or in downtown as there are many hotels there.

If you have been before to the city i recommend to rent a car otherwise it can be a hassle if you are not used to the driving way in the City.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

Puebla is a two hour pleasant bus ride from TAPO. The city center is fairly compact and can be done in a day. If you go to Puebla, plan on a full day between travel and seeing the city. You could spend a night and return if you wanted.

Teotihuacan is faster to visit by cab or public transportation than a tour. It is about 40 miles out of the city. We took a first class bus from the Autobuses Norte station on the Metro. Go early and you can beat the crowds and return by mid-afternoon.

But for my money, I wouldn't try to race around if you haven't visited Mexico City. It is truly one of the great cities of the Western Hemisphere. Templo Mayor, the Cathedral, and the National Palace around the Zocalo with other nearby sights are worth a day. Chapultepec Park and the Anthropology Museum are fantastic--even if you hate museums! Coyoacan and San Angel are worth exploring. I would simply stay in the DF and enjoy it!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

I would stay in Mexico City rather than hare off to Puebla (which is in the opposite direction to San Miguel). With such a short time an organized tour to Teotihuacan will be less stressful than struggling with public transport. The center is only 20 minutes from the airport so maybe you will get better value if you base yourself there for two nights.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

I agree that Mexico City is a world class city. Amazing. My suggestion would be to stay in Centro Historico and spend 1 day visiting the many places walk-able in that area. We loved the Templo Mayor. Main square (Zocalo), Cathedral, National Education Building with Diego Rivera murals, popular arts museum and tons more. Since you loved the ruins you have visited, doing Teotihuacan the 2nd day would be a good choice. We left early and our hotel (Chillout Flats) gave us detailed information on getting to north bus station etc but a tour could work just fine also.

ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

is mexico city dangerous

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

Safe? I would say about the same as New York but......if you remain in the areas that any visitor is most likely to want to be then it is exceptionally safe.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
477 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

I felt safer than in New York.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

Can anyone suggest a tour of Teotihuacan? I only have 2 days in Mexico City with my daughter and she wants to go there.Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

We took a Wayak tour - booked and paid in advance of arriving in Mexico City. A representative phoned to confirm the pick up time the night before the tour and Wayak picked us up promptly at our hotel on the morning of the tour. We chose the Tlatelolco, Guadalupe, Teotihuacan tour. Great fun and an informative day out. Value for money is unbeatable.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teotihuacan, Puebla, Mexico City? on a 2 day stay

AlexFamily thanks for the info did you book online?