We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 1hr 20min Transfer Enough for Mexico City (MEX) Airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
153 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Is 1hr 20min Transfer Enough for Mexico City (MEX) Airport

Hi All,

Wife and I will be spending part of Feb, all of March in Oaxaca and Chiapas. Considering a Delta flight into MEX City Airport (MEX) from Atlanta that gives 1 hr 20 min to transfer to AeroMexico going on to Oaxaca. (We are not stopping in Mexico City.) We are experienced travelers, and my gut tells me 1 hr 20 min will be cutting things too close. My understanding is that we would have to:

(1) clear immigration

(2) clear customs

(3) return to departure area by going through security

(4) find our flight -- domestic flights I see are in Terminal 2. (We may land in Terminal 1. Not sure.)

Luggage retrieval is not an issue, as we have nailed down traveling for two months with just one19 inch carry on bag each (I personally hate luggage). Both galloping towards 70, so less to carry is better.

We can by-pass MEX Airport entirely, by taking the United Non-Stop flight from Houston to Oaxaca. More money, but I am thinking worth it to avoid time pressured transfer at MEX Airport. Appreciate any thoughts from you old hands. Happy travels to all!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 1hr 20min Transfer Enough for Mexico City (MEX) Airport

You will land and depart from Terminal 2. You will have to clear immigration and customs and then find your gate - I don't think you need to go through security again but it's possible (but not a big line like in the U.S.). If you have no checked bags to wait for unloading I think it's doable as long as you are prepared to speak to someone if the immigration lines are long so that you can jump it if necessary. Of course if your incoming flight is delayed all bets are off. In any case your second flight should wait for you or at least they should put you on a later flight at their expense. I guess it depends on the cost differential between flying via MEX as opposed to flying direct to Oaxaca but I think the layover time is manageable if you decide to go that route.

Edited: 4:19 pm, October 07, 2013
Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 1hr 20min Transfer Enough for Mexico City (MEX) Airport

It is feasable, I suppose you will have your boarding pass for Oaxaca. I have done it in 40 minutes with luggage, it was stressful. You dont need to go out in the terminal after customs turn left, at the end, the escalator will take you the departure area. Check for your gate on the monitor. If your plane is late and are delayed go to the counter and they will find you a seat on the next flight.

3. Re: Is 1hr 20min Transfer Enough for Mexico City (MEX) Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 09, 2014