We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City and then?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City and then?

Greetings. I am trying to get the courage to head from Australia to Mexico for a month. I was in Mexico 16 years ago. I am female and at 51 I am a bit nervous as I haven't travelled in years since having children. I am looking at low budget and just relaxing for a month. I plan to fly into Mexico City mid September and from there have no idea. A beach would be on my agenda. Any thoughts and encouragement would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City and then?

Hi Indiorose, i recommend you to come before or on September 15th early so that you can see how Independence Day is celebrated. It will be very interesting.

Edited: 1:02 am, July 11, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City and then?

For an inexpensive beach area, I'd recommend the ones in the state of Oaxaca, they tend to be much cheaper than the other areas. You could take the bus to Oaxaca, stay there for a few days to take in the culture, and then bus it down to either the areas of Zipolite, Huatulco, or Puerto Ensenada. They are 3 dramatically different beaches not far from each other but at the same time worlds away from the expensive touristy beaches of Cancun and/or Puerto Vallarta.

Level Contributor
1,816 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City and then?

JustChris gives some good advice to visit Oaxaca along with your trip to Mexico City. You can read my trip report as that is what I did just last week. I didn't have time for the coast however. I would have liked to have included a day or two in Puebla. I heard great things about this city and it is a way to break up the trip from to Oaxaca. You might like to include a language school in your experience. You would benefit from learning some Spanish anyway and you meet other people. Plus the school can arrange cheap accommodations. I actually stayed at a hotel while I was studying but I met students that were really pleased with their homestay.

Best of luck whatever you do and enjoy Mexico. Its a wonderful country.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City and then?

Thanks guys for giving me some encouragement to head to Mexico. From memory my trip 16 years ago (when I was way more adventurous and youthful) I did spend some time in Zipolite. Your recommendations justchris82 sound good. mexcity my travel dates are not flexible unfortunately as I have to sort 3 kids to escape. I haven't travelled for 8 years so I'm keen to go. Thanks everyone for your suggestions I guess I need to bite the bullet, book and then return here for some of your wonderful ideas with a map in my hand. Thanks and cheers for your help.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City and then?

When you research beach areas in Oaxaca, be advised that you'll want to look for Puerto Escondido, instead of Puerto Ensenada which is in Baja.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City and then?

Whoops...that's what I meant...Puerto Escondido. Thanks Baldonenebraska.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico City and then?

A trip south to Puebla-Oaxaca-Puerto Escondido from Mexico City is very nice. The Mexican intercity bus system is second to none and is comfortable and safe. Mexico City is worth 5-10 days, there is so much to see. You might want to plan for several days at the beginning and several days at the end of the trip to break it up. Puebla is only two hours away and is well worth a visit for 2-3 days. Oaxaca is culturally rich and beautiful and deserves 4-5 days. I like Puerto Escondido because it is a small town of about 25,000 that has a nice vibe. The bus ride from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido is eight hours of hairpin turns over mountain roads. It is an incredibly beautiful bus trip, but some choose a domestic flight. Because of its relative isolation it hasn't become over developed, which I think is the tradeoff for the bus ride!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico City and then?

My last trip to Mexico was: Mexico City then Bus to Oaxaca, (6 hours in first class bus) after some time in Oaxaca the bus to the Bahias de Huatulco, a beach area I cannot recommend highly enough (8 hours in a nice first class bus), then after a great time in Huatulco, a domestic flight back to Mexico City.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico City and then?

Thank you, thank you and thank you for the motivation. Just booking my flights today. Sounds so exciting.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico City and then?

So my flights are booked. I will have 2 weeks of wandering to the south, then a return to Mexico City to meet my 15 year old daughter and then 2 weeks of us travelling together. Any ideas as to how I should do it? I'm thinking I may need to fly back to meet her.