We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

I last went to Mexico City in 2007 to see Lucha Libre. That was a boys' trip to say the least. I am going next Wednesday and returning early on Sunday with my wife. I want to get some input on things to do.

On Thursday, we are going to the Freda Kahlo Museum and maybe go to another museum afterwards, either the National Museum of Anthropology or the Museo Memoria y Tolearano. Not sure what we will do that evening. Any advice would be helpful.

Friday is a day trip to The Techicucan Pyramids and then go to Arena Mexico to see Lucha Libre. Saturday, we will go to the Bazaar Sabado and spend time in Polanco. Curious what people think about the activities.

I am really unsure about what to do when we arrive on Wednesday. I am guessing we will get to the hotel about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Thinking about going to the Zocalo. But again, any suggestions are welcomed. I also would like some suggestions on late night activities. No interest in going to Zona Rosa with my wife, but some cool places to hang out and drink would be appreciated.

She is looking buy some silver and I am always in the market for boots or leather jackets. So any advice on this would be great.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

You should combine your visits to the San Angel Saturday market and the Frida Kahlo museum (i assume you mean the Casa Azul, but the are two others that have a lot of her work). Otherwise you a going to make two long journeys south.

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

Speaking of Lucha Libre, I am planning to go as well when I visit.

I have read a few things saying the area where its held is fairly dangerous - but looking at a map the Arena Mexico is only a short walk to the metro? Surely it will be very busy at the time and as long as I am not waving my wallet and camera around, then I should be fine?

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

When I was there in 2007, I took a cab there and had no problem. Like anywhere else, you usually find trouble when you put yourself in a situation that can cause it. For example, when I read about the death of Malcolm X's grandson I had a sense of what happened. He was in a bar somewhere in the Zona Rosa and no doubt some girl or girls had him buy a drink for them at an inflated price and before he knew it, he owed a ridiculous amount of money. He argued about it and was killed. Reading the accounts of his death which stated he owed a 2,000 dollar bar bill, I know that is what exactly happened because the same thing was about to happen to me. I went into a bar, some girl wanted me to buy her a drink and then her girlfriend and I immediately got my bill which was like 60 bucks for two drinks and bailed out. I immediately left as I saw the hustle going on. .

Getting back to Lucha Libre, I went to both Arena Mexico and Arena Coliseo. One tip is to print out a seating plan from Ticketmaster MX of Arena Mexico and carry it with you as you might buy a ticket from a scalper as they have all of the best seats. This way you know where the tickets are located and can't get ripped off. I went on my own and had no problem. Arena Mexico has wrestling on Tuesday and Friday and Arena Coliseo has wrestling on Sunday. I took the metro to Arena Coliseo and you have to walk about 15 minutes to get there as it is in a residential neighborhood. I had one of the best meals of my life at a street stand directly across the street from Arena Colsieo. Amazing food which you can find at many street stands. Don't be afraid to eat if you see a lot of people there.

I have read about some people complaining about the metro that it is dirty etc. Living in NYC and having gone to about 29 countries, for my money it is up there with London, and Paris for accessiblitiy and ease to use. I use the NYC subway everyday and think it is an amazing system for the amount of people it serves but the maps can be confusing for tourists. The Mexico City metro serves more people and is as good if not better.

4. Re: 3 1/2 day trip to Mexico City-need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2014