We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

My friends and I will have a lay over in Mexico City for around 7 hours before we depart to Huatulco. I need suggestions on what we can do in that time around the city.

How far is the pyramid?

How far is the Cathedral?

How should I get around? Taxi? Public Transit?

What else should we see/do/go/eat?

What would YOU do in that time?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150796-c118074/Centr…

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

I think it depends on when you get out of customs. If its reasonable you can take a cab to the Zocalo, see the sun rise and just walk around, look at the cathedral, walk down and have breakfast maybe at Casa de Azulejos, walk the Alameda and then get back to the airport. You have no time to go to pyramids at Teotihuacan if that is what you are referring to, the city center is pretty close to the airport although you have the delight of seeing rush hour, unless its Sunday. Hope your baggage is checked thru.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

if you don't have to carry your luggage, take the subway from the airport. That's my recommendation. Pyramids is really pushing it. I would go to the museums.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
38 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

If you exit immigration early enough, take a cab ride to the Zocalo and it would be nice if you get there early enough to see them raise the Big Flag. Get some Coffee on Madero Street. Walk to the Alameda. If it is Saturday or sunday go through the markets booths on the Alameda. Can see the Diego Rivera Mural museum across the street. Get a Torta at Tortas Robles same block as the museum. Walk past or go into the Palacio de Bellas Artes. Go back to airport.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

Thanks for all of the advise!!

Does anyone know of a tour company that would be able to pick us up and take us around? I attempted to contact the 2 companies (Mexico City Elite Tours & More Mexico) recommended in the link first present and one company is no longer in service and the other's website contact section is malfunctioning.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

Our lay over would be from 5am-1:20pm..

Ive heard that the museums don't open till 10 am and the sun doesn't rise in August till 7am.

How far before the flight would we have to be back at the air port?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

You can:

The hours are unfortunate. If I were you I would:

Store your luggage at the Airport- there are storage boxes for rent.

1. Take a taxi to the Centro Historico (Or buy a metro pass- Not sure when it opens- 7am?)

2. Have breakfast at El Cardinal or Cafe Popular

3. Have a early cocktail/drink at the Holiday Inn Bar- OR the La Casa de Las Sirenas on their 16th Century rooftop bar behind the cathedral- Fantastic views both...

4. Walk around the Zocalo to see the outside of the Templo Mayor- maybe buy tickets to see it with a guide if time permits...

5. Take a taxi back to the airport and get your luggage. That is all you can do in this little time, but it will be memorable.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

That sounds fabulous!!! Thank you. How far in advance from our departure time (1:20) do you recommend we get back to the air port?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

2 hours and change. Be at the airport by 11am.

It will be a QUICk excersion but will be very cool if you are efficient.

I forgot to mention that you must go to the ROOFTOP bar at the Holiday Inn on the Zocalo. After breakfast. There are other terrace bars along the zocalo too.

Good luck,

P.S. YOu take a Sitio Taxi form the Airport Right to the Holiday Inn Hotel Zocalo. THen ask the nice front desk people how to get to the Cafe Popular. (If you are pressed for time- skip the AMAZING breakfast at El Cardinal or Cafe Popular & just eat on the HOliday Inn roof terrace-not great food but with AMAZING views. Do TRY to eat at El Cardinal if you have time)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hour lay over!! 5am-1pm WHAT TO DO?! HELP!

How far is the cathedral from the zocalo?

How long is the cab ride from the air port to the zocalo?

Thanks!!!