We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses: Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Grutas, Tepoztlan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Buses: Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Grutas, Tepoztlan

I'm spending 6 days in and around Mexico City and just wanted some opinions on whether my travel plans can be accomplished given bus schedules. I'm arriving in Mexico City on Dec 26th and have the following travel "plan":

27th: Mexico City--spend the day checking out the mueseums

28th: Take bus form Mexico City to Cuernavaca, Visit Grutas de Cacahuamilpa, Stay the night in Cuernavaca

29th:Take bus from Cuernavaca to Topoztlan late morning/early afternoon, Spend the day in Tepoztlan, Take bus from Tepoztlan back to Mexico City in the evening

30th: Xochimilco--stay the night in Mexico City

31: Teotihuacan--stay the night in Mexico City

Any information on the frequency, rough timing of buses to these locations is very much appreciated! Or any other travel tips! I realize that buses probably run frequently to Teotihuacan, but I'm a little nervous about being able to catch an evening bus from Tepoztlan to Mexico City. I have not experienced the buses of Mexico yet, but I've heard good things!

Muchas gracias!

Tepoztlán, Morelos...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses: Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Grutas, Tepoztlan

There are at least a few dozen museums in Mexico City, it is probably reasonable to see only two or three in one day. My favorite is Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso. If you should visit the beautiful Anthropology Museum, it takes almost a day to walk through it if you don't stop to see anything.

The Grutas are on the road to Taxco, they are not in Cuernavaca. I have no information about buses, there probably are buses, or you could splurge and take a taxi. The caves are huge, one visit there was enough for me. In case you don't make it to the caves, be sure to visit the House of Robert Brady near the Cathedral in Cuernavaca, it is beautiful.

I have lived in Tepoztlan for six years, I love it here, I plan to spend the rest of my life here. We run a gay spa here on weekends.

Xochimilco is worth seeing.

Teotihuacan is spectacular, certainly worth seeing.

The buses in Mexico are far better than in the US, comfortable and frequent. I hope you have a wonderful trip, even if you don't get to do all the things on your list.

2. Re: Buses: Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Grutas, Tepoztlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, December 17, 2013