We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico for Christmas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
13 posts
Save Topic
Mexico for Christmas

My husband and I will be visiting his family in Mexico City for Christmas 2006. We would then like to travel somewhere else for the week between Christmas and New Year's to spend some time by ourselves. Any suggestions on where to go? We are open to going pretty much anywhere (I think) but don't want it to be too expensive or too crowded. We have already been to Acapulco and Palenque. I'd love to visit Cancun/Mayan Riviera, but am not sure if Xmas is the best season to do so. Was also wondering about San Miguel de Allende, or other equally nice places closer to Mexico City. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico for Christmas

You'll be visiting Mexico during one of the busiest times of the year as far as traveling about goes. Just about any beach location will be jam-packed, and major tourist centers like San Miguel de Allende and Oaxaca will have large croweds of domestic tourists, also. Wherever you want to go, don't wait too long to make hotel reservations.

If you can give us a little better idea of what you're talking about as far as a desired trip/location is, and some general figure on hotel costs that would be acceptable, I think people here will have some specific recommendations for you.

Offhand, a few places close to Mexico City that I enjoy visiting are: Valle de Bravo, Tlaxcala, Malinalco and Ixtapan de la Sal. They're different from one another and not typically busy at holiday periods (well, Valle de Bravo might be).

Anyhow, give us some more information and let's see what ideas fall from the sky!

Two good guidebooks for Mexico that you might want to look at are the ones published by Moon Handbooks and Lonely Planet.

Buffalo, New York
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico for Christmas

Gomexico - thanks. Some specifics...hmmm. Well, my husband is actually Mexican, so we want to stay away from tourist traps and go for a more local flavor. Neither of us like Mexico City--me particularly--too much of everything!--so we go for the smaller towns. We have talked about going to SMA in the past b/c I've never been. I've also never been to Cancun (but I agree that this may not be the best time to go). We briefly visited Taxco, and loved it. I would go back, but is there enough to do there for a whole week? We're not super go-go-go people, but we can't just lay around by the pool all day either. We like hiking and outdoor things (exploring), art and architecture, music, great food and culture. Not big on shopping.

I like the idea of visiting places I've never been, and maybe places that my husband doesn't know real well either. On the Taxco trip we also visited Malinalco, Tepoztlan, Cacuamilpa (sp?), Xochicalco (awesome!), Cuicuilco and Teotihuacan. We're big on ruins (which is the attraction of Tulum/Chichen Itza). The other places you mention: Valle de Bravo, Tlaxcala and Ixtapan de la Sal, I'm not familiar with--maybe you could elaborate?

In terms of cost, etc. we're hoping for hotels/B&Bs in the range of $50-$100 US/night if possible. We're open to "packages" that include airfare/busfare and the hotel (we found a great deal once to Acapulco) -- but I wasn't having much luck finding anything online... mostly because I'm not sure what to search for. I was thinking about going somewhere not that far away from Mexico City b/c it cuts down on travel costs. As far as food, we prefer local restaurants to a resort, as long as they're not sketchy--and healthy/authentic food over fried or fast food.

Also, we're looking for suggestions on what to do for New Year's.

Hopefully this helps!