We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold Feet

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cold Feet

My plan is to be in MC in three weeks. My sister is having cold feet now because her co-workers are telling her it's not safe. I don't know what else to say to get back on track. From what I'm reading, it's no safer than NYC and I feel very safe in NYC. Any ideas?

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold Feet

Tell her to check the dozens of stories here about people visiting Mexico City and leaving with no issues at all. These are real travellers like yourself.

Tourists in Mexico City spend their time in areas that are very well policed and with hundreds of people passing by. Get a good tourist book, stay in the areas with the main attraction and then ask us here for feedback on your plan. All that will help you with your peace of mind.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold Feet

" it's no safer than NYC and I feel very safe in NYC" - so let's agree it's about as safe as NYC and therefore you will feel very safe :)) Statistically, in terms of murder rate both cities are pretty close and I would expect that to apply to other crimes too. If you've still got cold feet then buy warmer socks!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold Feet

I don't think the murder rate is pretty close between NYC and Mexico City, Steve.

For example, in 2010, it was 6.4 for NYC and in Mexico DF was 13.08.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

animalpolitico.com/2010/…

I am all for tourists visiting Mexico City, but I feel sometimes people get to comfy about it and argue it has the problems of every major city, which is not the case at all.

Edited: 9:20 pm, October 24, 2012
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold Feet

The most common figure I've seen for Mexico City is 9 (e.g. here: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/25/world/americas/mexico-airport-shooting/index.html) but anyway it is comparable to many U.S. cities and way less than the U.S. capital of Washington. Perhaps more important is danger to tourists and that remains very low.

Edited: 2:27 am, October 25, 2012
Springfield...
Level Contributor
386 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold Feet

When looking at those murder statistics it is important to remember that Mexico City is HUGE. When you look out the window of your airplane, it spreads from horizon to horizon. I have never seen any crime statistics that are neighborhood specific, but I suspect that in that vast expanse there are areas that have much higher murder rates than those cited, and areas that have much lower murder rates. Just like in most American cities. I too have had people get this aghast look on their faces when I tell them I am travelling to Mexico City (or anywhere in Mexico!)

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cold Feet

I agree with you, Steve. The danger to tourists is very low.

And I also agree with alm711, numbers of any nature about Mexico City tend to be misleading, because they stop at the borders of DF, when the natural flow of the city goes into Edo Mex. You cannot really separate Naucalpan, for instance, from Mexico DF, just because there's an imaginary line somewhere.

In any case, tourists have no business in the worst areas and they're unlikely to get into trouble if they follow some basic precautions.

dallas
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cold Feet

I’ve been to Mexico city about 6 times in the past two years. Like someone just said: tourist have no reason to be in high-crime areas.

I walk, take busses, peseros (working-class busses) and the metro. But I mainly just walk around; I’m not in a hurry. I usually stay in the Zona Rosa area, because it is easy for me to get up early and walk around Roma Norte and La Condesa, losing myself along the way. I can also walk along La Reforma all the way to El Centro; I find it very pleasant especially on Sundays when the street is closed down for biker riders and skaters (families). Ive taken busses to La basilica and the Pyramids amoung other places.

At night in La Zona Rosa, I usually just find a place where I can people –watch (there’s some along Genova, which leads to the entrance to La Insugentes Metro) or find a place with live music & cheap beer. I also like the Starbucks on the corner of Amberes and La Reforma. It’s close to El Angel and there are always a lot of folks walking around, so it’s another place to sit and watch the show, and it can be quite interesting; although maybe not as interesting as paerts of New Your, but I can only imagine not having been there.

I’m not up and about too late, but have never felt uncomfortable walking around at least till about 12:00, when it’s already past my bedtime.

It’s a big city and pick-pockets are around and petty crime. I have never been to New York (The thought scares me), but comparisons to me are really not useful. I say that because of the first comment; there is no reason to put yourself in a high-crime area. All the stuff you will be doing as a tourist are fine. It is a very interesting city. If you decide to go you will not be disappointed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cold Feet

My sister is also a season traveler. But I think her co-workers have spooked her this time. Most people we know have never been to where we've been. As far as I'm concened, their opinions don't mean anything since they don't travel outside the country. The bad thing is that we have a big hispanic population in NY and some of them do say it's dangerous.

I agree that most tourist areas are probably safe. I don't plan to visit high crime areas, I have this weekend to convince her. Thanks for replying and wish me luck.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cold Feet

your sisters attitude isnt really that of a seasoned traveller is it?

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cold Feet

Yes, there's a large hispanic population in NYC, but how many of those have actually experienced Mexico City? You cannot even trust Mexicans from other states on this one, due to the exaggerated reputation the city had, and probably still has, within the country. You know what I mean. It's the reputation every mega city gets in every country. NYC is a prime example.