We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I move to Mexico City or not?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Do I move to Mexico City or not?

So work have offered me the chance to transfer to our Mexico City office for what I believe will be a minimum period of 12 months. Pretty sure our office is near Polanco, if that means anything to anyone :)

I've never been to that part of the world before, so I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts and experiences are? What sort of things do I need to take into consideration before I go? I haven't really been through any fine details with work yet, so I am still at the stage where I can negotiate any of my own terms in. My employers are going to arrange things like visa, accommodation.

Anything at all that anyone can recommend or share with me would be great!

Thanks guys!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

Polanco is the posh area of Mexico City (think Mayfair, London). Surviving without much Spanish may be difficult. Mexico City is big and noisy but never dull - and the climate is a big improvement on Manchester :))

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

Fortunately, I've got a little bit of Spanish and my employers are willing to supplement me having Spanish lessons before I head out, so I'll definitely be going with the ability to hold a conversation and I'm fully intending on throwing myself in at the deep end and eventually becoming fluent. After all, I'm being thrown into a management position so I'm going to have to be able to communicate well :)

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

Absolutely!

Threads about relocation are likely to be removed, since they are not strictly travel related in the view of TA. You will get plenty of help here though:

www.newcomers.org.mx/

Edited: 8:38 am, July 18, 2012
USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

You may find that becoming fluent in spanish alone could make the adventure worth it from a professional standpoint. The more you can do...

I've never taken a class of spanish in my life but volunteered for 6 months in a Mexican community and very quickly learned very good conversational spanish through immersion...and self-study in my room rather that going to a bar or beach or other fun options like that. Not being fluent can lead to moments of great frustration when you want to take a conversation/friendship/relationship to another level, but I can basically get through any situation on my conversational spanish alone now. A full year of immersion for a dedicated person like you seem to be will really help and could really pay off from a career standpoint as well.

Mexico City has 3 pro soccer teams so you won't have to suffer any soccer related withdrawals being from a soccer crazed nation!:-))

Obviously none of us can answer this question for you...just too many variables for any of us to even understand...but I took the long-term plunge to Mexico several years ago and it was one of the greatest decisions of my life. Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

My husband and I moved from London to Mexico City a few years ago.

It has been very interesting and we definitely don't regret our decision, we have discovered a really welcoming country. We are very happy here.

Challenging stuff: the immigration office, but your employers should provide help with this issue.

Traffic: find accomodation close to your work place, Polanco is somewhat "cycle friendly", this will save you time and stress

Do get a car so that you can travel out of the city to the sorrounding cities/villages and other places, driving on the motor ways is a lot easier than in Mexico City and the views are very nice, lots of mountains, also great way to explore

We don't mind and quite like coffee (it is easy to become a coffee connoisseur here), but if you really need your tea fix, bring plenty with you

Really good stuff:

The weather is lovely all year round, even in the rainy season you get plenty of sun

People are really really friendly

Food is amazing! all of it

Beaches are paradise and there's so much variety, from big resorts to small fishing villages or even camping

Travel, a lot, Mexico is an incredibly rich country in terms of landscapes, weather, cultures and so much more

You should be okay with the language within a month or two if you are working with Mexicans -and they don't insist on practising their English with you

We did it, but think it thoroughly, while it can be a great thing, if you are the type who misses stuff when on holiday, living abroad is so much harder in that sense.

6. Re: Do I move to Mexico City or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 20, 2013