We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

Hi All.

I am going to Mexico this September with my wife. We are looking for a place for 4-6 days to chill out. We are going with our friends (couple + 2 small children). We are looking for a quiet place by a beach/lake where we can relax. Any recommendations?

We will have a car with us.

I've heard of "Valle de Bravo" which seems nice but I am afraid it will be too crowded and touristic (like Acapulco).

Would appreciate any idea or comment

Thanks!

Capital Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Compadre Gaston Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Amor es Mexico
Sightseeing Tours
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

The only beach within 5 hours is Acapulco which is far from crowded and there is a place called Pie de la Cuesta just up ther coast from there if you want to be totally chilled (google it for more details). Valle de Bravo is fine but you might want to also consider Patzcuaro which is an ideal base for day trips.

Edited: 6:53 pm, July 06, 2012
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

Hi byron33,

Valle de Bravo is a very nice town by the lake and 3 hr drive west of Mexico City, but on weekends is full of Mexico City residents and driving around is not good, however the town also has more activity during these days...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
530 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

Since Mexico City is in the very central part of the country the beaches are a long ways away. Unless you go to Valle de Bravo or Patzcuaro (located farther east than Morelia but you can easily get there in one day's drive) you might want to fly to some beach place. We have not been to the Valle de Bravo (yet!) but from what I have heard and read go during the week and avoid weekends.

If you choose to fly I recommend flying to Ixtapa and then using a taxi to the nearby town of Zihuatanejo. Unlike most of the fancy beach resorts with high rise hotels Zihua is a fairly small town but has all the amenities that you would want. You can also find affordable places to stay there which is often difficult in the other places. Also Puerto Vallarta has a regular town in addition to hotel zone.

4. Re: Cozy & relaxed location up to 5 hours from Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 11, 2013