We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight days in Mexico City

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
515 posts
604 reviews
Save Topic
Eight days in Mexico City

We are beginning the planning stage of a trip to Mexico City in October. We have travelled several times to Mexico in recent years (colonial cities and not beach resorts) but this is our first time to Mexico City.

We know we cannot see anywhere near all that we would like to see in a week's time but below we have listed some places we definitely want to visit. We are wondering if there are good or bad days for going to these locations. On Mondays, of course, many places like museums will be closed and a Monday is our first full day so we were thinking about the Turibus. I read some old posts on Trip Advisor and many folks spoke highly of it. Do you agree? For a first day look around it might be good. Or not?

Otherwise, our list includes at least one full day around the Zocalo, the Alameda area, at least some of the museums in Chapultepec Park (obviously the Anthro Museum and Castle), much of a day at Teotihuacan, the University, Coyoacan, maybe the Saturday market in the San Angel area, and Xochimilco. If time allows a peek at colonia Polanco and Plaza Garibaldi and try to find some time for shopping but where for artesania. I know there is even more but this list will keep us busy and I don't know if we can squeeze them all in. Is it possible to have good looks at all those in a week?

Again, are there good days or days when it would not be so good to check out these places? What might you skip if necessary? Any places that are really highly recommended that we should consider?

We will appreciate any and all advice.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

The Turibus would be operating on a Monday, but most of the museums and sites that it stops at would be closed. If you're going to visit Teotihuacan, Monday is a good day to do it, because it's open on Mondays. Xochimilco would technically be open, although you would have to go on a weekend to see most of the vendors, musicians, and crowds. Also, the museum of Frida Kahlo art in Xochimilco is great, but it might be closed Mondays. The two branches of the Museo Soumaya art museum (http://www.soumaya.com.mx/) are also open Monday.

For artesania shopping, the Ciudadela market has a lot of the common mass-produced stuff that tourists buy. The Buenavista warehouse store (in sort of a dicey area -- Garibaldi is in a similarly dicey neighborhood), on Google Maps as "Centro Artesanal Buenavista", has a very large selection of mass-produced artisan items that are more oriented toward locals. The shopping could also be done on Monday. The Saturday market at San Angel has a great selection of unique, higher end items.

I personally wouldn't see the University, due to how far out of the way it is. I would consider taking a day trip out of Mexico City -- to Puebla, Tepoztlan, or even Pachuca (a surprisingly cute and friendly city in the mountains to the north) -- but it isn't essential.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

Hi again unclelouie, teotihuacan sounds good on a monday but make sure u get a guide because if not, its boring since u wont know what anything is. For Artesanias, go to la ciudadela. Its near the zocalo so go that day. Or go to the bazaar on saturday which is even better but pricier. They are the best markets. The turibus is a good idea. I think there are three diferent routes now and u get to pick one of the three you want to go on. About 2 months ago, i went to plaza garibaldi for the first time in the 11 years ive been living in mexico and was pleasantly surprised. Go at night and have fun listening to the diferent mariachis playing music. Its close to the zocalo so maybe that day go to zocalo, alameda, cuidadela, lunch, museums and when the sun goes down, go there. Im still discovering this amazing city so one week will not be enough but u can always come back.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

If you like colonial art, Mexico City has some hidden treasures such as the Culhuacán monastery (near Coyoacán), the Enseñanza church (north of Zócalo), the Franz Meyer museum (near Alameda park)... You can find some good guides on this topic on Tours by Locals (e.g. Jonas or Hector). Also recommendable are excursions to cities such as Querétaro, Taxco, Cuernavaca or Puebla (if you haven't been there yet).

oregon and mexico
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

I, too, like Ciudadela for shopping. There are many nice things mixed in with typical tourist junk. For quality crafts you should check out Victor´s on Modero, close to Bellas Artes and Casa Azulejos. Modero 8 and 10, room 305.

You should also not miss Museo Arte Popular which is near Ciudadela.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

Centro Artesanal Buenavista went out of business.

USA
Level Contributor
594 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

I've never used Turibus and while I can certainly understand that it would give a lot of peace of mind to a first time visitor, I think you will probably find the Metro system to be a lot more efficient if you're ok with being a little more adventurous especially to places like Chapultepec Park and the Castillo which are definitely worth a visit. I had no issues getting around anywhere via the Metro my first visit, but I did all of my research before each outing to at least give the impression that I knew what I was doing!:-))

If I'm not mistaken, all of the national parks in Mexico are FREE to residents on Sundays so you might want to skip things like Teotihuacan that day.

One of the really underrated things that I enjoyed in DF (as a sports fan) was taking a tour of Estadio Azteca. While a pretty short tour, to set foot on the field of such a huge and historic stadium was a huge thrill and something I recommend to all of my DF-bound friends.

Edited: 5:19 pm, June 27, 2012
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

Unhappy to hear about the Centro Artesanal Buenavista. :-(

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

Yes JCS27 - I was surprised and actually posted on this site to see if anyone knew and I got a reply with news links indicating Buenavista closed in Mach 2011.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150800-i164-k4649…

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
685 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

Hi unclelouie,

if you have 8 days to visit you can go to all those places but you have to organize well your time and the zones: north, south, center...

tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eight days in Mexico City

I agree with organizing your sightseeing by zones. I think the best thing is getting on the Turibus on Monday because there isn't going to be a lot of traffic. Personally I think you should skip Plaza Garibaldi, it's kind of unsafe if you aren't in a big group.

The Turibus company also organizes trips to Teaotihuacan and they offer a discount with your day ticket. They include lunch and guide and stopover in La Villa.

Also, the Alameda is completely closed until October do to renovations, I would visit Franz Mayer museum instead, go up the Latinoamerican tower if it's clear. Make sure not to miss the archeological site next to Zocalo, it's called Plaza Mayor. I also like Palacio Nacional.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Have a great trip!