We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
United States
Level Contributor
357 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

Am able to get this hotel for 6 nights with just my Marriott points. (Marriott Reforma only 4 nights & no free room Internet AFAIK -- which I need) Airport has subway station? Can't figure out if its on yellow line? Do I transfer only once to get to Centro Historico & other downtown areas? I don't mind packed subways & even see them as photo opportunities. Is it unreasonable to use airport hotel as base, making daily subway rides to various urban photo opps? There is free shuttle between Courtyard & airport/subway. What's latest on MexCity subway & urban safety? No more or less dangerous than NYC? I explore with a very used patched up camera... Premiero tiempo, thanks in advance!

Edited: 11:02 pm, May 20, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

The city's airport is not preciselly close to the main photographic attractions, but as you say the subway (metro) makes pretty easy the access to it. But you must realize that this is the main transportation system in the city and most of the time is very very crowded. There are two subway stations near the airport, both of the yellow line, "Terminal Aerea" and "Hangares". In order to move between this zone and the main tourism attractions you may need to switch between subway lines very often. All this having in mind that all signs of the system are in spanish. At first it can be a little intimidating to get familiarized with the subway system, but once you start catching on it'll become very easy to use. (Alway carry a map of the subway lines) You can watch the official web page of the metro system in this link: http://www.metro.df.gob.mx

You may want to use the "Pantitlan" as your main switch-between-lines base. To get to the "Centro Historico" you may take the pink line in Pantitlan to "Pino Suarez" there switch to blue line in direction to Cuatro Caminos and get down at "Zocalo" station. There you will be exactly at the Zocalo, the city's center, from there you may walk to a lot of interesting sites from both colonial and aztec heritage.

Another interesting place is Coyoacan, which may be a little trickier to get by subway. You need to take the green line (yellowish green). So again from Pantitlan station take the pink line in direction to Observatorio and switch to green line in Balderas station. Then take the green line in direction to Universidad and get down at Coyoacan or Viveros station. Both are not preciselly in Coyoacan center, but with and adecuate map you can walk the way to the main plaza.

Another interesting site is Xochimilco, and this place is far from the airport, but you may also reach it using the subway in combination with the "tren ligero" (light train). Take the blue line in direction to Taxqueña and get down there (is the last station of the blue line). At taxqueña station you need to switch to the Tren Ligero station, which is right next to the subway station. There's only one line at the Tren Ligero so board the transport to the last station called "Xochimilco" and there you go. To check the Tren ligero stations check the official website at www.ste.df.gob.mx/servicios/trenligero.html

Using the subway is the cheapest way to travel around the city but be minded that it may be at times, a little more crowded than you expect it to be, so it can be uncomfortable at times.

About security, there's always good security around all subway stations but still there's pick pocketing issues. So try to be discreet with your belongings and be sure to put your money and important papers in a closed bag or a security pocket. And never leave it unattendant.

Mexico City is a very big city, and as such it has all the big cities security issues, but nothing to be specially alarmed.

Using the Marriot of the airport as base hotel can be a little challenging but is doable. Just be sure to study very well your Mexico guide and your maps. Plus remember that mexicans in general are kind people willing to help. If you are able to learn some words in spanish it'll be appreciated by the locals and may be helpfull.

Hope this helps. Have a safe trip and enjoy this intimidating but amazing city.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

hi,

i would not suggest the airport as your base because it is really a long journey everyday and if you want to leave early to get to the city and go back by 5 or 6 pm those are the rush hours!! ( you will fell like in a tuna can believe me)and it closes at midnight and as you have to transfer at Pantitlan station you would have to leave by 11 pm from downtwon area so that you get the transfer to Puerto aereo station( terminal 1 where that hotel is)

from marriot airport hotel you only have to walk to the subway and a bout the security problem is about pickpockets!! they take advantage of the packed trains so that they take your wallet or mobile phone ! violence assaults have seldom taken place in the subway it is the safest public transport system of the city

as for the pics remember that officially it is forbidden to take pictures in the subway system , however many people do that, learn some spanish so that you also can ask people to get a photo of them

good luck !

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

mexcity: He should use the Terminal Aerea metro station, not the Blvd Puerto Aereo station. The Blvd Puerto Aereo station will dump him in the middle of an industrial area :-/

I don't think I would recommend this. Yes, the hotel is connected to the airport Terminal 1, which is near the Terminal Aerea metro station. However, the metro station is not directly connected to the airport terminal itself. You have to walk a couple blocks to get there, in an area where I wouldn't really want to be walking or taking the metro at night. Plus, getting to any tourist areas from the airport involves a double subway transfer, some transfers with very long walks in the transfer station.

Are there any other hotels where you can use your points?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

hi , sorry it is terminal aerea station where the marriot is...

nevada
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

How much is a taxi ride to the Zocalo area and is it safe?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

Taxi from where? And are you asking if the taxis or safe or the Zocalo area? You should really start a new thread!

nevada
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

Taxi from the Courtyard Mariott airport to Zocalo or Zona Rosa.

Mentioned in this post
Zona Rosa
Zona Rosa
534 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

You can certainly use the Metro, but you will miss being in the city. I don't think the Metro is ny more dangerous than NYC. I would avoid rush hour. if I were you I would book the four nights in the city and then just pay for a couple of nights perhaps near the Centro Historico. Rates are cheap, the city is great.

Mentioned in this post
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

You can take the official airport taxi service. It is very reliable and not as expensive as a normal hotel taxi.

10. Re: using Airport Courtyard by Marriott as base...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 17, 2013