We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City February

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City February

I am going to Cuba with a stopover in Mexico City and due to flying standby I can not prebook any accommodation. As I will probably be arriving late in the evening, can anyone suggest the best way for me to obtain accommodation arriving as a solo lady in the late evening. And any suggestions on the best area for me to stay, and should I stay in a hotel, B&B etc. What is the best way to transfer from the airport?

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City February

If you are arriving late and hoping to leave in the morning for Havana, best to just stay at the airport.

If flying Aeromexico or another airline using Terminal 2, the NH Hotel is right there - walk to elevator and take it to lobby to check in.

If flying Cubana, American, United-Continental or other airlines using Terminal 1, the Camino Real and Hilton each have airport locatoins easily accessible from that terminal using sky bridges

Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City February

Another option at Terminal 1 is the Hilton hotel.

…hilton.com/es/…index.do

The Ramada Hotel is a more affordable option located outside the airport but with 24 hr shuttle service every 30 minutes. You can take it from door 4, either from Terminal 1 or 2.

http://www.ramadamexico.com/home2.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City February

Thank you but am staying for several days so am not wanting to stay at or near the airport!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City February

Sorry, it was not clear to me. If you arrive late in the evening the hotel sales offices in the airport will probably be closed. Weeknights are very busy at Mexico City hotels for business and many are full. Weekends are less busy at hotels. There are clusters of hotels in the historic center, but I would not suggest a sole female to wander around looking for a room there - same is the case for the Zona Rosa, Reforma corridor and other areas.

If you are coming from Sydney to Havana via Mexico, you must be transiting the U.S. or Canada. Find a computer before you leave and reserve a room (you prepay) on expedia.com. You are only a 4 to 6 hour flight away.

I just went on line at 6:30 pm here and it is possible to book a room for tonight. If they show no availability, it is a busy night in Mexico City and I would suggest you try the airport hotels for the night and then move in the morning.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City February

thank you, good ideas. My problem is that I am on standby fare so will not be able to committ to anything as don't know if I get on the flight till the last minute. It will be a weekend arrival if all goes to plan but the flight into Mexico City from Atlanta will probably be not till 8.30pm arrival. Will I be able to change money at the airport for a taxi? Are small B&B's or similar not a good idea? I am not a five star lady when travelling!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City February

If you really can't commit to anything until the last minute, and you're arriving at night, then you're in a complicated situation here.

I suppose you could buy a Mexico City guidebook (I recommend Chris Humphrey's), which will be full of hotel listings and phone numbers. When you land, keep calling hotels until you find one that has the kind of room you want available. Prepare yourself for a long and exasperating search if you don't know how to use the phones or you don't speak Spanish.

You could also book a room for one night in one of the inexpensive hostels (like http://www.mexicocityhostel.com/accomodations.htm) and just pay the penalty if you don't show up.

There are a couple small B&Bs which are a good idea in general, but not if you show up without a reservation.

When you land in Mexico City, immigration will ask where you're staying. Just decide on a random hotel and give that address. Once you are in the arrival hall, use one of the ATMs/cash machines to take out some money. There are also money changing offices at the airport, but I don't know how late they're open. As a backup plan, in case your ATM card does not work, you could pay for the taxi with a credit card or US dollars, but be aware that the cheaper hotels may not accept credit cards for payment.

To use the taxis from the airport, you buy a taxi ticket from the taxi office in the airport and then give it to the driver as payment -- so various forms of payment will be accepted. However, your ticket will not cover hopping from hotel to hotel looking for a room, so if you need to do that, you'll have to negotiate something on the side with the driver (and carry Mexican Pesos to arrange this). Don't let the taxi driver leave until you've confirmed that their promised room is actually available, and don't try to walk from one hotel to the next at night. Also, I don't recommend letting the taxi driver "recommend" a hotel of his choosing, because you could be ripped off. Finally, if the taxi driver finds out that you don't have a real reservation, make sure he actually takes you to the hotel you asked for (multiple times, I've had taxi drivers attempt to redirect me to the driver's "favorite" hotel.)

7. Re: Mexico City February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, May 16, 2013