We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City safety and more...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City safety and more...

I just came back from Mexico City and want to encourage everyone to go without a fear of safety, everyone where you as a tourist want to go, it will be safe with reasonable causion, just like anywhere else on earth.

Go to forums and read all posted topics, lots of valuable information there! You can get well prepared for the trip!

**Common question - where to stay, Historic Center or Roma/Condesa - simple answer, if you are like me, that loves endlessly walking, Historic Center is your answer. I walk so much during the day, that, as much as I love the night life, exploring the city on foot is the way to get to know it and historic area is great for that. There so many people on the streets till 11 PM all around you, police everywhere, I have felt save every second of my trip!

I reccoment hotel Gillow for the best location, room quality, aand of that for $50+! I have seen many other ooms in the historic area, no comparison! They are fine, but this is the best value!

If you are more into a nigh life, stay at Roma ? Condesa. All those hotels get booked easily, make sure you have the reservation at least for your first night.

Don't miss Plaza Garibaldi and mariachis, easrly evenign is just fine, lots of fun!

The best exchange rates are given by banks, airport is the worst. Exchange offices close to the airport rate.

Get some pesos from your bank at home, and make a copy of your passport for Mexican banks as they need it in order to exchange the money. In Mexico City, they made a copy for me, in mazatlan, they would not, I had to go back to my hotel, make a copy and come back. Some banks ask that you have an account with them in order to exchange money, others not.

What a beautiful weather right now, what a beautiful people, food, culture, history, you name it...

If you have any questions, pls let me know, I will gladly answer.

Can't wait to go there again!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City safety and more...

Nice Report! Gracias!

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City safety and more...

I totally agree with you...Mexico City is a very safe city to visit. I'm a single female traveler and have never felt unsafe there and I've been to MC over two dozen times. As for hotels...I prefer Zona Rosa over the Zocolo area. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Zocolo and it's pretty dead after 8pm. The Zona Rosa area is idea and inexpensive. I've stayed at the Eurostars Zona Rosa and the Galeria Plaza Hotel for about $70USD per night. Zona Rosa is easily accessible by local bus or metro. I like going to concerts at Auditorio National and it's very easy to get back to my hotel late at night by the local bus or metro. I never feel unsafe in the Zona Rosa area and there is alot of nightlife and restaurants in the area. As for the exchange rate...I find that the airport has the best rates...but you have to shop around. No one has ever asked for my passport when exchanging money. Also if you have a Bank of America ATM card, you can get money free of charge at the Santander Serfin Bank ATM.

3. Re: Mexico City safety and more...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 30, 2012