We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

I have a question about cell phones in Mexico - I have a smart phone with data - can I use that phone to take pictures( not send just take) or will I be changed some "roaming" fee ? It is thru ATT

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

Your pictures will be saved on the internal memory, but you should have a memory card if you already don't because your internal memory won't hold many pictures. If you aren't sending the pictures to anyone you won't pay any roaming fees

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

Turning your phone on might be enough to trigger roaming charges, as the telephone will do periodic registrations. With smart phones this is very likely, as some applications generate background traffic. The solution is to use flight mode when you turn the phone on. This disables the radio communications and no charges of any kind are incurred.

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

iPhone automatically blocks data and updates outside the US unless you turn it on using the settings. If you make/receive a call to/from the US you'll be charged for the airtime and about $1.00 per minute (roaming). Check with at&t for rates and information on how to block your smart phone and if you are sending data use the hotel WiFi.

"If you don't have an iPhone... well you don't have an iPhone".

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,237 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

You can pay AT&T $5.99/month for international roaming but Im not sure what the per minute charges are for calls and data. I have a company phone and spend all day on the phone at work so dont yap much when not working - and most of the emails I send/receive when on vacation are business related. I have been known to check/post to Facebook from overseas and no one says anything, but I work for a huge company - and they probably get 1 bill. Also, if Im sending a client who spends $5 million a year a picture of the Mekong River, or the side of the road in Xcalak - the company doesnt care.

5. Re: can I use a Smart Phone in Cancun area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 26, 2012