We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

Hello all,

Some opportunities have come around for me and I plan on moving to Mexico in the near future. I may be moving there for life. I have done some reading on requirements and visas and it seems as though for every requirement, letter, visa, whatever that I find another pops up. Can anyone suggest a good 1-2-3 book? Any advice, tips, or knowledge is greatly appreciated. My move probably won't be for about another 8-12 months so if I need to submit paperwork I have time. Thanks again.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

GoBuckeyes,

Requisites are not as difficult as they look. You can get a lot of info. by reading the numerous threads from numerous contributors. Don't get discourage!!! Soon - if you are really interested - you will find that it is possible. First things first. If - as you say - you "...may be moving for life..." then your first concern should be where in this country would you like to stay. My strong recommendation would be - before coming down here for good - give yourself the opportunity to first know the city or cities where you potentially would like to reside and then start working on your FM2 visa, although you could stay in Mexico as a tourist for up to 6 months. Again, don't be discourage. Expose yourself to the new challange and, soon. you will find, to your own satisfaction, that your new opportunities are indeed very good ones.

Good luck.

PELUCH

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

GoBuckeyes,

Moving to another country is a unique experience. Too bad there was no "www" when I moved from Mexico City to the US... I hope the following link could give you some hints (if you have not visited it before):

www.solutionsabroad.com/a_reloc_living.asp

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

I was distracted and forgot to add these two more:

solutionsabroad.com/espanol/a_procesodereubi…

mexconnect.com/amex/…lemovingcountdown.html

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

Thanks Peluch and KarlosMiguel. The information you've given is greatly appreciated. So the two of you have a little more info that may help you to help me, my wife is from Veracruz, Mexico. That is where I will be moving. Her family is fairly successful and we have many friends that own businesses. Now that my wife and I have some things put together and my spanish is better we are ready to make the move. I need to keep all the I's dotted and T's crossed so that we don't run in to any trouble. That's where I'm looking for help, I don't want to miss any I's or T's. Any additional help or information would be great. Thanks again!!!

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

I've been through the process, and it can be daunting. If your wife is a Mexican citizen, however, you can register at Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM) and apply for citizenship. I'd recommend that you first find a Notaria in Veracruz.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

GoBuckeyes,

It would be almost impossible to give you some kind of general info. because, simply, there is a ton of topics to cover. The web sites already recommended by some other contributors and your own reading to the abundant available literature will help. Also, if you come with concrete questions about those areas of concern, I am sure you will find many responses.

PELUCH

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

No guide will adequately prepare you, but you will get some sense of what to expect.

Reading "The People's Guide to Mexico" is the first step I recommend, followed by a visit to the website of Rolly Brook (www.rollybrook.com). Then, read through Mark Ehrlich's works (www.mexconnect.com/mex_/ehrlanxietyindex.html).

Mexico's not a destination that'll agree with all foreigners who think about moving to the country. Many return home within 6 months to a year because of disappointment, or the fact that they just don't like it. Living someplace in a different culture is a challenge, a lot different than vacationing in Mexico.

I think the best advise you can receive is to be patient, don't push things too much . . . life in Mexico is lived at a pace different than where you're coming from. Also make some familiarization trips, if you've yet to do that. Don't buy a place to live at first (if that's what you might be thinking of doing). Rent a place and live in a town for 6 months to a year before deciding to plant roots.

The ability to speak and communicate in Spanish will be important to a happy life in Mexico, so if you don't have that ability now you can take some courses before moving and then take some "total immersion" courses in San Miguel de Allende or Cuernavaca as soon as you relocate to Mexico.

Moving will be more challenging than most people think. Best of luck!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

Thanks again all,

Acapulqueno, I'm glad to see that someone who has done this before is around. My wife is a Mexican citizen.

Would it be advisable to just go ahead and move to Veracruz and then apply for an FM3 or FM2 or should I have a visa before the move?

Also, maybe Acapulqueno can help me here, did you move funiture and household goods down. I have no idea what sort of customs or duties I would need to pay at the border or if I would need to pay at all.

Thanks again everyone. The web links that were given are great!!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

GoBuckeyes,

I will not comment on the requisites any further because I believe the preliminary info. you have already received will suffice by the time being. GoMexico, for instance, is very "educational".

With regard to what you need down here, opinions, again, change from person to person. Someone will tell you that, basically, you won't need anything as you will be able to find practically everything in Mexico. And that is true...to a certain extend. Quality and prices with regard to some items could be the difference. By law, you are allowed to bring your whole household (used items). You - and your wife - are also permitted to bring one car each. Yet if the estimated value of your household is over US$1,000 you will need to hire a Customs Agent. In any case, you could put everything you need in your car and that would be your household and no need for a Customs Agent. New items are subject to heavy duties and, besides, you will have to pay the Customs' Agent's fees. Here you need to be careful as the Agent never gets to give you written evidence of what is really paid as duties and their fees are somehow arbitrarely calculated. In any case, you won't be able to bring your household (Menaje de Casa) with a Tourist Visa. You will need your FM2. U. S. moving companies will charge you differently depending of the distance and the type of service you finally require. I understand they are not allowed to circulate in Mexico; therefore, you will also need to use a Mexican mover from the border to your final destination. I personally used ABF (you load yourself and cut the applicable rate in half) to Laredo, texas and from that point Alan Kent (which I no longer recommend) took care until San Miguel de Allende. He hired the Custom Agent for me. All items were received in excellent condition but I ended paying more than I expected. in other words, no matter how much you plan, you should always expect some problems here and there.

I could write more but hope this help by the time being.

PELUCH

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Mexico from U.S.A.

I'd recommend that you go to Veracruz and apply for citizenship on the basis of your marriage. Your wife's family can refer you to a notary, who can provide the help you need with Relaciones Exteriores.

The requirements for an FM3 or FM2 can be a Catch-22 and, with a Mexican wife, are unnecessary. You need an FM2 from Imigración to work and pay taxes, and should have the signed offer of a job to get it. Unfortunately, businesses are reluctant to offer work to someone without an FM2.

I did not move funiture or household goods and I don't recommend it. Everything you need is readily available in Veracruz, and probably at a lower cost.