We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle, USA
4 posts
Save Topic
Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

y wife and I intend to travel to Acapulco from Mexico City between Christmas and New Years. We have traveled by bus in Mexico before (low season) and understand the basics, however, anticipating that the buses will be fairly packed with travellers at this time of year, we wondered about the possibilities of making reservations.

We have been to the Estrella de Oro website, but I don't see any obvious way to make reservations online. A local (stateside) travel agent cautioned that we may only pre-purchase a ticket from the terminal several days in advance. I am wondering if there is any way to buy the ticket BEFORE leaving the US and therefore have a reservation in place when we arrive in Mexico?

Any thoughts?

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

Mr Travelmonkey,

I know the crowds during Easter and Christmas break in the terminals. In México, some bus lines sell the tickets for Greyhound, maybe Greyhound coud have tickets for the Estrella de Oro... may worth the asking.

Try calling Estrella de Oro to see if you can guarantee a space over the phone. The numbers in Mexico City are:

011 52 (55) 55 49-8526

(55) 54 98-8520

(55) 55 44-8277

(or via e_mail, since its web site is not working properly) and, as a last resouce, if you have friends in Mexico City ask them for the favor to get the tickets for you.

Buena Suerte!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

Bus companies in Mexico add a lot of additional equipment (busses) at holiday season. Many more departures . . . more than are included on published schedules . . . are available.

About purchasing in advance: from outside Mexico . . . I've not heard of anyone doing that successfully (especially with a credit card billing address that's not in Mexico). The advise to check the www.estrelladeoro.com.mx website is good and you can also look to see what schedule is published.

Departures to Acapulco will be about every 1/2 hour on Estrella de Oro, and similar on busses operated by company Estrella Blanca. Although the Taxqueña (Terminal Sur) bus station will be packed with people moving about the country . . . just about everyone gets to where they want to go. Having patience will be very important, as will paying attention to announcements (garbled and in Spanish). Don't be afraid to keep asking "Acapulco" in the departure area (and, quote your scheduled departure time).

If you're in the D.F. a day or two before your departure, ask your hotel staff where there's a travel agency that might sell tickets for Estrella de Oro. Or, just go to Taxqueña to get them yourselves. Advance purchase is definately preferrable to just showing up at the terminal on the day/time of your intended departure.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

We are travelling from Mexico City to Acapulco at the same time, and were told by a friend who lives in Mexico City that booking by internet isn't a problem (so long as the site is working).

My buddy bought tickets for us (via the internet) and the seats we reserved were blocked off when I visited the site later in the day...

I just checked the website and it is up and running.

Good luck...

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus travel between Mexico City and Acapulco during the...

Yes! Estrella de Oro's reservations page is working!