We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico city family hotels?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
mexico city family hotels?

We are spending a week early December in downtown Mexico City.The last time I was there was just after the 85 earthquake and the only hotel undamaged was the Best Western Cortes which was expensive at the time. This time I am travelling with my wife and two young boys. Can anyone tell me of a hotel where we could get a suite or two attached bedrooms at a good rate? Must be in safe walking area. Thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico city family hotels?

What's your definition of "a good rate"?

There might be "suites" or interconnecting rooms as you want, but I don't know of any. there are places where you can have rooms side-by side, though . . . and even some hotels that are likely to have "family rooms" that include 4 or 5 beds.

About safe location . . . I do not suggest that you stay in the Centro Historico District. There are other areas where nighttime is safer.

Without giving much consideration to the realm of posibilities of hotels that might suit your needs - Casa Gonzalez quickly came to mind. This is a 2 or 3 home complex that's in Colonia Cuauhtemoc just off Paseo de la Reforma and near the U.S. Embassy. The place gets very high marks from guests. It's family friendly, meals are served in the home's dining room, and the family that owns the place is very helpful to visitors. "google" the name for more information, or check elsewhere here on the TA website for reviews and contact information.

Get back to us with some more specifics as to budget and things you'll be doing, and some of us who frequent this forum who are familiar with Mexico City will have some suggestions for you.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico city family hotels?

I much prefer the downtown area, which is probably at least as safe as New York's Times Square. Most of the stories are from nervous Nellies who've never been in any other foreign country. Use common sense, and don't get drunk and hail a cruising cab late at night.

There are a number of good downtown hotels with "suites" but it would be a good idea to get in touch with the operator to know precisely what this means. Here are a few possibilities you can 'search'

Majestic (Zócalo),triple, 4 persons $216

Holiday Inn (Zócalo), double, 4 persons $156.00

Hotel de Cortez (Alameda) triple, 4 persons $100.00

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico city family hotels?

PS: I think you and your boys would enjoy the Turibus service which operates on a circular route from Chapultepec Park to the Historic Center of the City. You can board at any stop, get off and re-board any time on the same day so long as you have your ticket and bracelet. Ask your hotel desk clerk to point out the nearest stop.

The tour takes a little less than 3-hours to complete and operates between 9am and 9pm. Tickets cost 100 pesos for adults (115 pesos on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays) are available only on board the bus. The web site for Turibus, which includes a map, is:

http://64.78.37.75/turibus/recorrido_turistico_df.html

The Papalote Children's Interactive Museum, on the Turibus circuit in Chapultepec, is very popular with kids.

Another stop you shouldn't miss is the National Art Museum (MUNAL) at the statue known as "El Caballito". A Goya exhibit has just opened and includes 253 works on loan from the Prado in Madrid, the National Gallery in London, the Sao Paulo Art Museum, other museums and a number of private collections