We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuernavaca or Taxco as a base

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Cuernavaca or Taxco as a base

Hi guys! After we fly into Mexico City, we were planning on spending the first 2 nights in Cuernavaca, and taking a day trip to Taxco. I have heard less good things about Curnavaca, but it is only an hour on the bus after a long day of flying, and there are some museums we want to see. Please we'll be on to Puebla afterward, so it makes sense. Is it advisable to stay in Taxco, as it is smaller and more personal? The reservation is for Curnavaca- what are some highlights or favorite restaurants in the city? All help is appreciated.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuernavaca or Taxco as a base

I find Taxco more picturesque than Cuernavaca, which has recently turned into something of a suburb of the Capital.

In Cuernavaca, try to see the cathedral. In the 1960's the bishop ripped out all the ornate Victorian altars and restored the interior to something like it was in the 16th century, with a very modern high altar. Try Sanborn's for a good meal.

You can walk all over Taxco and there are a lot of little hotels, so finding a room should pose no problem. The ornate little church of Sta. Prisca, on the town square, was the gift of a silver baron. There are several little restaurants on or near the square which are good, but not especially reasonable.

Taxco is about as far south of Cuernavaca as Cuernavaca is from Mexico City, and the highway is slower. You'll have to return to the City to go to Puebla, which lies to the east, on the road to Veracruz.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuernavaca or Taxco as a base

I like Taxco more than I like Cuernavaca, but as a base I think Cuernavaca probably makes more sense . . . considering your next stop is Puebla. You can get to Cuernavaca directly from the Mexico City airport, which is a big plus. To get to Taxco you have to go by taxi from the airport in Mexico City to the other end of the city to the South bus terminal, and from there take a bus to Taxco. Of course, you can take the Cuernavaca bus from the airport and then switch stations and take a bus to Taxco, but that, too, is a bit more complicated than just staying in Cuernavaca. You can "do" Taxco as a day-trip from Cuernavaca easily enough. And, although Cuernavaca might not fill all of your time there are places close enough at hand for other day trips.

mexico city
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuernavaca or Taxco as a base

I think both Taxco and Cuernavaca are nice places but I have more fun when I go to Cuernavaca, there is a wonderful restaurant there called las Mananitas with outdoor gardens filled with peacocks, exotic birds and great margaritas. Sanborns in Mexico is a food chain, it is good but nothing out of the ordinary. In Cuernavaca there is another fun restaurant that has a bar that has beds instead of tables and a chef that specializes in new mexican cuisine, i cant think of the name at the moment but if you are interested i can try and remember. Taxco is good for buying silver, but Cuernavaca is the city of the eternal spring. It has a new musuem specializing in mexican modern art as well as the robert brady museum.. there are also basaltic rock formations only found in few places of the world.