We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

Can one book the return taxi (upon arrival)at the airport to have a taxi come pick you up at your hotel the day you need to go home? Just wondering. I think we will be staying at the JW Marriott (great deal online $125) and it says on the website that the transportation to the airport is about $70.00 USD, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

jenny

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

When you arrive and have cleared customs in the airport, go to the authorized taxi stand INSIDE the terminal and buy your taxi tickets.

The J.W. Marriott is 25 km (15 miles) from the airport and the fare is based on the distance shown on a map at the taxi stand. That will give you an idea of a reasonable fare. If a return trip can be scheduled, you can do it there.

To be honest, US$70. sounds high, but hotel taxis usually charge a great deal more than the cruising ones.

If you're traveling in daytime, you can save by hailing your own cab or little green VW taxi -- but be absolutely sure there is a meter in the cab before you get in.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

Fare to/from the airport in one of the "authorized" taxi's operating out of the airport will cost about MX$200 each way. You can call the airport taxi service and they'll take you back to the airport, for a price less than they brought you to the hotel. I believe the price you read on the hotel's web site was for if you used one of their private sedan cars, late-model cars used as limos and taxi's (with no meters); they are very safe, but very expensive in comparison.

About the suggestion to hail a green/white VW bug taxi - that's about as dangerous thing a first-timer in Mexico City can do, and it can cause you to be victimized by criminals. A meter in a taxi has nothing to do with your safety when riding in a taxi in Mexico City. Don't do it on this trip. Stick with "radio" or "sitio" taxis if at all possible.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

Sometimes GoMexico gets his opinions mixed up with fact. I use street taxis frequently, and I check the driver’s tarjetón (city-issued ID card) to make sure the face matches the photo before getting in.

Although many people recommend radio taxis, most are unmetered and charge about double the average meter rate. TaxiMex is an exception and offers metered taxis at a surcharge of 10 pesos over the meter reading. You should use radio taxis after 9 p.m., especially if you've been drinking, since crime statistics show that most taxi robberies occur much later than that.

Most restaurants, bars, and cafes will be happy to call a radio taxi at night.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

"Sometimes GoMexico gets his opinions mixed up with fact. I use street taxis frequently, and I check the driver’s tarjetón (city-issued ID card) to make sure the face matches the photo before getting in."

Recommending roving taxis from the street to someone unfamiliar with the D.F. is an irrresponsible thing to do - without a doubt.

Some "radio" and "sitio" taxi's have meters, to suggest otherwise is misinformation. For those two types of taxi's that don't have meters you are quoted a fare before you start on your trip. Fares in the D.F. are pretty much fixes when you use these types of taxi's, and, yes - for the additional security they provide, there is an added cost (I find it to be as much as 50% more - usually the equivalent of US$2 or $3, hardly something that will bust my budget).

Some people like to sugar coat the security situation in Mexico City, and that's unfortunate. Honesty is always the best policy.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

GoMexico probably knows more about Mexico City than I do about Chicago -- but then I don't pretend to be the final authority on Chicago.

You're the one who thought that Acapulco bay opened to the west, weren't you?

Why don't you try to answer the posted question instead of present yourself as the last word?

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

I would like to thank both Acaupulqueno and GoMexico for their help. Both of you are very passionate about your knowledge and that is why I ask advice from this forum.

Thanks again

Jenny

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

Bahia Santa Lucia DOES open to the West. Visit ACA once, and see for yourself.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

My husband and I travel to DF frequently and are planning on living there upon retirement. From the airport we always have used the airport ticket cab service. It is very dependable and know the locations of all the hotels (even the most obscure). We have never booked a taxi at the airport to pick us up but call a radio taxi from our hotel. We never "hail" taxis, but perfer the sitos (same as taxi stands). The hotel (especially those high end chain type of hotels) taxis are more like limos and cost a great deal more. However there are time you may need one. They are what we refer to as tourist taxi's. If you are a first timer and speak no Spanish this may give you more comfort. We have never been disappointed with the sito taxis. If you are adventurous DF has a wonderful extensive subway system as well as buses. You need to be cautious just as you would in Italy (or numberous other places in the world) when traveling on public transportation. DF is one of the largest cities in the world, there are so many things to do and see as well as just as many pitfalls and joys to behold. Use good judgement and enjoy. Best of luck.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

Perhaps your view is a bit skewed. Is the lake north of Chicago? Those of us who actually live and vote here in Acapulco know that if the bay opened to the west, the sun would set there. It doesn't. Why don't you look at a map?

california
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authorized Taxi To and From AIrport

stop fighting girls.