My husband and I are traveling to Mexico City in a few weeks and we are looking for some suggestions. We keep hearing how dangerous it is and we have seen all the reports of kidnappings. This forum seems to have mixed opinions, but we would like to hear about specific areas from people with first hand experience.
1. We have already booked the Hotel Niko in Polanco. Is it a relatively safe area?
3. We know not to hail cabs, but rather to have one called or find a taxi stand. Is it easy to get a safe cab at night from a restaurant or bar? Do certain cab companies have a better reputation than others?
4. I do speak a little bit of Spanish; will this be enough to get by?
5. Any recommendations on tours for Taxco and Teotihuacan?
6. We would like to see a traditional dance performance, maybe Flamenco. Any recommendations?
7. We heard about the double decker bus city tours. Are they worth it?