We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Topic
Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

My husband and I are traveling to Mexico City in a few weeks and we are looking for some suggestions. We keep hearing how dangerous it is and we have seen all the reports of kidnappings. This forum seems to have mixed opinions, but we would like to hear about specific areas from people with first hand experience.

1. We have already booked the Hotel Niko in Polanco. Is it a relatively safe area?

2. How about Chapultepec Park and the Condesa area?

3. We know not to hail cabs, but rather to have one called or find a taxi stand. Is it easy to get a safe cab at night from a restaurant or bar? Do certain cab companies have a better reputation than others?

4. I do speak a little bit of Spanish; will this be enough to get by?

5. Any recommendations on tours for Taxco and Teotihuacan?

6. We would like to see a traditional dance performance, maybe Flamenco. Any recommendations?

7. We heard about the double decker bus city tours. Are they worth it?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

The Royal Pedregal Hotel is considered a very nice place to stay. I haven't stayed there, but I've passed by many times. It's in one of the upper middle-class sections of the metropolitan area. You'll need a car to get around, though. Being on the southern end of the city like you'll be, I'll suggest spending some free time in the old/central section of Coyoacan. PeriSur Shopping Center is in the area, in case you need/want to buy something nice.

Acapulco, Gro.
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

I can only endorse the recommendations to see the Ballet Folklorico. You can buy tickets at the Palacio de Bellas Artes or ask your hotel to obtain them.

The Sunday morning performance features the elevation of the 20-ton Tiffany glass curtain showing sunrise over the volcanoes and, if this fits your schedule, it's worth seeing.

The building itself is interesting: it was begun by Porfirio Diaz before the Revolution, and the exterior reflects his love of Italian Renaissance. It was completed after the Revolution, in the 1930's, and the interior is Art Deco.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

Just returned from a 2 week trip.

I would recommend the centro historico area because it is so cool, the Zocolo, cathedral, etc. There is a debate on the safety issue here but my opinon is that it is one of the safest areas period. Police are everywhere and is relatively well lit. Just use common sense. Yes the crowds in the metro can be exhasperating. Also the weekend crowds at the Zocolo are insane. Don't carry around items of value.

Highly recommend both Teotihuacan and the Antropology museum (the later in Chapultepec) as must sees. The voladores outside the museum are very cool.

I found a reasonable cab company that is a taxi seguro. $10 from the airport for reference. I used them several times and they were punctual each time. I can get you their number, if you are interested. Otherwise your hotel will call you secure cabs.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

Perceptions can be deceiving - especially when we travel to areas with which we're unfamiliar. On the topic of crime - the Centro Historico district of the D.F. - in which the Zocalo sits - registers the highest level of crime in Mexico City. Much of the crime is directed to pedestrians, and persons who hail "random" taxis. Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip - I share your opinion that Mexico City is a great destination.

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

Thanks to all who replied to our post. We really appreciate everyone who addressed our concerns and gave us helpful suggestions. Most of our concerns have been eliminated and we are very excited to go. Thanks to the recommendations, we will definitely be seeing Ballet Folklorico if we can. I will post when we return and let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

Hi, I second bcad's recommendation to visit the small village of Tepoztlan. It's just over an hour from Mexico City, on the same route as Cuernavaca, and the buses from the main station are very nice (they even have TV's that show movies and episodes of Cheers during the ride). Tepoztlan is a magical place and you must climb its central mountain to the snake temple. (If your ID name "Keralita" means you are from or have been to Kerala, I think you'll be amazed at its similarity to Kerala temples). The Saturday market is great place to get the little gifty things one of the other post-ers here asks about. Everybody in Tepoztlan gets together at a coffee stand in the center of town called Buenos Tiempos and that's where you can get a lot of tips about the village and other side trips. Have great trips, everybody.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seeking advice on Mexico City trip

I usually suggest people skip Tepoztlan, unless they enjoy throngs of tourists. I've been there, and don't understand the attraction. I chalk it up to "urban myth" more than anything else. But, like so many other things in life - "To each his/her own"!