We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on my itinerary

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on my itinerary

Hi DF experts!

My partner and I have booked our flights for a 3.5 day trip to Mexico City (end of May) and I would like to get your thoughts on our itinerary. We are a gay couple in our early thirties and love big cities. One of the purposes of the trip is to explore whether it is a city I would like to work in for a year or two. So while I would like to do the touristy things, I would like to get a good sense of the local food and life. Here's my itinerary....

Arrive Saturday Afternoon:

- Explore the Zocolo

- Zona Rosa

Sunday:

- Museo Nacional de Antropología

- Templo Mayor

- Mexico Ballet at night

Monday:

- Teotihuacán

Tuesday:

- Xochimilco

- Castillo de Chapultapec

Any thoughts on evening entertainment? We would not be interested in Lucha Libre.

Also, is it safe for tourists to take the subway? A friend of mine who is Mexican does not recommend it but I see otherwise on TripAdvisor.

Am I missing anything important?

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

I'd just stroll through Zona Rosa and then go to Polanco or Condesa for dinner and drinks. The bars in Zona Rosa are kind of tacky for my taste. There's lots of gay bars there, though.

Zona Rosa, Polanco and Condesa are the places where most expats in Mexico City live and hang around, so it's good that you plan to see them.

Any idea where you'd be working?

London
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

For some reason I think JulianM is kind of homophobic or elitist. Anyway, in zona rosa there are gay bars that are really fun. If you´re into electronic music I´d recommend El Taller on Florencia St. It was one the first clubs where I listened to decent house-electronic music in Mexico; still it´s a good place. There´s also a massive gay club called Living on Avenida de la Reforma, it´s pretty close to zona rosa, near to Torre Mayor, the tallest skyscraper on that avenue.

Yes, you can use the tube, just watch your wallet.

London
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Yes, u´re missing Coyoacan, where you can pay a visit to Frida Kahlo´s blue house.

Btw, here´s a zona rosa´s gallery.

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
134 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

I would recommend going to Xochimilco on Sunday. It will be much more fun on a weekend.

Also, depending on how into anthropology you are, you can easily spend a whole day in the anthropology museum. FYI, the museum concentrates on the Indians from Mexico and America.

Taking the subway is safe.

Mexico city is a great destination...enjoy!

Kevin

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

As the previous posters have said, yes, you should go to Xochimilco on a Sunday, and you should visit Coyoacan.

The Castillo de Chapultepec is near the anthropology museum, so it makes sense to see them together. You could then take advantage of the opportunity to see more of Chapultepec park.

The Templo Mayor and the Zocalo are also close together. While you're in the area, you could see the Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso. There are also a number of historic buildings between the Zocalo and the Palaco de Bellas Artes (where the ballet will probably perform), plus there is an art museum in the Palacio itself.

As you see, there's too much to see in just 4 days, so you'll have to pick and choose...

During the daylight hours, the subway is certainly safe, but the chance of getting pickpocketed is significant. Almost all of the crime reports that I hear from other tourists involve getting pickpocketed on the subway or city buses. You can defend yourself against this by taking valuables out of your pocket and holding your bag against your chest.

If I had to move around the city in the nighttime, I would take a taxi.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

"For some reason I think JulianM is kind of homophobic or elitist."

How come my comment is either homophobic or elitist, Mr PC?

I said that those bars look kind of tasteless to me, which is an opinion widely held by those who knew Zona Rosa 15 years ago, when it had some of the best bars in the city. Then they started introducing cheap strip clubs and everything went downhill from there. Many of the bars are now poorly maintained, too, unlike places in Condesa or Polanco, and robberies happen more often than in other places. There's also prostitutes approaching you after the bars. I don't like the place because of all that, and I thought that the whole idea of the forum was to give opinions.

Now the homophobic part. I said that there's lots of gay places in the area, which is a fact, not an opinion, and I mentioned it because the original poster is gay and, well, I thought he might want to go to a gay bar. I don't see the need to sugar coat that suggestion.

Get a grip and stop passing judgment on others. Isn't that what the self-styled open minded people like yourself should do, anyway?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Thank you all for the great suggestions! It is exactly what I needed and I will be sure to check out Xochimilco on a Sunday.

I certainly did not take any offense at JulianM's comments.

London
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

“How come my comment is either homophobic or elitist, Mr PC?…I said that those bars look kind of tasteless to me”

I live in London with my boyfriend, we have gone to Mexico City. Yes, there are some bars that are tacky, but also there are good places, one of them is El Taller. Alejandra Bogue used to perform there.

http//mx.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj5qbhRpnc

You cannot make generalisations, telling people that they should not have a drink in Zona Rosa only because the places look “tasteless” to you. Zona rosa is like London’s Soho, which is one of the main tourist areas. In Soho, there are strip clubs, sex shops and beggars. On the other hand there are theatres and galleries. Zona Rosa has similar things and this what gives Zona Rosa some real character. Polanco and Condesa are good areas to visit, but they are not for everybody. They can be boring and dull especially if you’re interested in nightlife and alternative lifestyles and arts. For instance,

The Vagina Monologues are currently on stage in Zona Rosa. There´s also a LGBT cultural centre: Contempo.

http://www.contempocinema.com/

If people are interested in antiques, they can pay a visit to Plaza del Angel.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Of course you can make generalizations, pick a random bar in Zona Rosa and chances are that it won't an emergency exit and they will serve you adulterated drinks in plastic cups. Of course there will be exceptions, but I don't see why a tourist should spend his or her limited time looking for them.

I'm not telling anyone what they should do, I just give my opinions in the hope that they will add information. Travelers will then look at different opinions and decide on what's best for them. Some might want to visit Zona Rosa for the reasons you mention, some other will prefer to skip it if they think like me. That's the beauty of these forums.

You seem to have many reasons to like Zona Rosa, fair enough. None of them make me elitist or homophobic, though. Fortunately, blueberry_nyc did not take offense.

By the way, blueberry_nyc, if you decide to go to Coyoacan, which would be a great idea, do it planning to visit places like Frida Kahlo's and Trotrsky's museums, as the street market and main square are closed now.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Not to be elitist or offend anyone but I am a big fan of Condesa also. Coming from Montreal, I really like the restaurants, bars and general atmosphere of the Condesa neighbourhood. You have lots of outdoor dining areas with most of the restaurants. People say that Condesa is more like Soho and while it has a different feel to it, it is probably the closest of all the areas in Mexico City. There are straight and gay couples everywhere and no one cares either way. The bed and breakfast where I usually stay is run by a gay couple and it is absolutely the best place to stay (Red Tree House). I have taken the subway at night with my son coming back from a football match and did not feel scared at all, although I had no valuables and kept my purse close to my chest like others have recommended.

I also walk all over NYC and take the subway there too! You have to be careful there also.

You did not mention where you plan to stay but that might depend on the itenarary you have selected.

Katrine