We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Mexico City
Search

Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

Hi. I'm flying from Oaxaca to Mexico City and will continue my flight back to home (Europe). The domestic flight from Oaxaca (by InterJet or Volaris) arrives at 9:30 AM and the international flight (by Iberia/Finnair) leaves at 12:05 PM. Is there enough time to go through customs, passport control, security check and other procedures? I will probably travel with hand luggage only so there's no need to do pack drop. Also, do I need to change terminals between domestic and international flights? Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11:15 am, November 28, 2018
8 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
133 reviews
162 helpful votes
1. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

You will not clear immigration or customs on arrival at MEX, since it's a domestic flight. If you are travelling with hand baggage only and if you are able to check in online and print out your boarding pass prior to your departure from Oaxaca then you just need to walk to your gate for the International flight. Only you can decide whether you want to take the risk of an unprotected connection. No change of terminals is required.

Interjet codeshares with OneWorld, so if you haven't booked yet, you could include your Oaxaca segment on the same PNR.

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
506 posts
23 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

I did fly from Oaxaca to New York on Nov.15.

Was really easy.

I had one ticket on Aeromexico.

I received my bag in NY.

It was no immigration, no check point in Mexico City, they only did look on my passport at the Gate.

Keep on mind that flights from Oaxaca often late.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Mexico City, Oaxaca, Puebla
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
69 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

Here's a tip for you. Bite the bullet and hire one of the porters for a $5 equivalent tip. They will move you through the airport quickly and directly to where you need to go. It will be money well spent. I know that your luggage, like mine, has wheels and porters are not needed. But it is amazing how many times this has helped me out in the Mexico City airport. They know the shortcuts through the parking lots, the hidden elevators, etc.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
134 reviews
222 helpful votes
4. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

Cilla M,

Welcome to TA!

The only issue I see is that Iberia /Finn Air may have a 3-hour check-in requirement (in person, not on line ) before an international flight. If they do have any such requirement, you won't be able to meet their time constraints. Good luck.

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 12:29 am, November 29, 2018
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
133 reviews
162 helpful votes
5. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

Iberia OLCI is 24 hours prior to departure, longer for pax with status. Check-in time limit with bags is 60 minutes. Time limit for boarding is 20 minutes. If the OP has hand baggage only she will not need to go landside. There are no porters airside.

Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

Thanks a lot for the replies! I was afraid that there might be too little time for the transit. Maybe I will extend my stay in CDMX for day or two.

Another way is to take later flight from Oaxaca and spend the night in Benito Juarez, but what I've read it's not very comfortable place to hang out, not to mention sleeping over there.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
133 reviews
162 helpful votes
7. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

So, are you saying you already have your international ticket and cannot therefore add the domestic sector?

There are hotels at the airport should you wish to stay overnight. However, the airport is not that far from much more interesting areas to stay for a night or two. Mexico City is well worth several days of your time if you have them.

Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Save

The case is that I have flights booked for Finland-Mexico-Finland. I'm backpacking in Central America with no specific schedule, but it seems that my last destination will be Oaxaca, from where I have to go back to CDMX. I'm now wondering do I schedule my Oaxaca flight for the same day that I'm going to go back to Europe, or will I arrive CDMX earlier and spend couple of days there. So I don't have that domestic flight booked yet.

I've been to CDMX two times before and agree that there are lots of things to see and do. The previous times when I went to Benito Juarez I was always so tired and exhausted after taking part in some seminar/conference, so I can't remember what kind the airport was. Also I had someone to drive me to the airport and guide me through everything, but this time I will be alone.

Reply to: Transfer in Benito Juarez (from domestic to international)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted