We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week trips from Mexico city

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Imola, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Week trips from Mexico city

Hi, I will be in Mexico next summer and I'm planning a week trip from Mexico city. I know that anyone has its own preferences but I'd like to hear some suggestions about my two options.

Do you think would be better a tour in the colonial towns north of DF (Morelia, Patzcuaro, Guanajuato, Queretaro) or a trip towards south (Taxco, Puebla, Oaxaca ...) ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro
Michoacan, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

Here are some suggestions:

1) Mexico City - Puebla (2 day stay) - Oaxaca (5 day stay) - Mexico City.

Puebla is a typical colonial city with an array of churches and museums as well as some fine restaurants. Oaxaca is surrounded by archaelogical sites (Monte Alban is just outside the city) as well as a very nice old town in itself - lots to see and do there.

2) Mexico City - Morelia (4 day stay) - Patzcuaro (3 day stay) - Mexico City

Morelia is one of my favorite colonial cities - beautifully preserved historic center. Patzcuaro is a charming small town situated on a lake with a nearby pyramid site (I forget the name) and a picturesque island (Janizio) a boat ride away.

3) Mexico City - Queretaro (2 day stay) - San Miguel Allende ( 2 day stay) - Guanajuato (3 day stay) - Mexico City.

Queretaro has a lovely historic center and tons to see. San Miguel is famous in the U.S. and has a lot of expat Americans living there - it's not my favorite but worth a short visit. Guanajuato is unique - a large historical area packed with sights and lots of quiet plazas to enjoy a beer with most of the through-traffic travelling underground in old tunnels.

I suggest you research these places on the internet and see which ones take your fancy!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Monte Alban
Monte Alban
3,780 Reviews
Oaxaca, Mexico
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro
Michoacan, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

Steve's suggestions are excellent. I might suggest Taxco- Morelia- Patzcuaro an easy full week trip giving you enough time to enjoy all. Now I just spent a full week in Morelia enjoying it immensely but I'm retired & visit Michoacan every year so never rushed.

Mentioned in this post
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro
Michoacan, Mexico
Imola, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

Excellent job Steve, thanks a lot!!

The only thing I have to do now is ... the choice!

Morelia seems to have a little preference to you but each destination has some good appeal ... I will collect some more information then I'll go ...

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
San Antonio
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

I lived in Mexico City for three yeras, and I go back almost every year. I would reccomend Taxco, or Cuernavaca. Taxco is renowned for its silver, and the city itself is breathtaking. The sky-ride from MonteTaxco(hotel) is quite enjoyable. Cuernavaca is about an hour south of Mexico City, and it is also beautiful(the city of eternal Spring). It is more about history and relaxing (lots of spas and ritzy hotels) than eating and shopping. I would also reccomend Tepoztlan, a quaint little town with pyramidsbuilt on top of a mountain (El Tepozteco). It also offers nice restaurants and tranquil cobblestone streets. It is not too far from Cuernavaca.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Tepoztlan
Tepoztlan
Morelos, Mexico
Tepozteco
Tepozteco
798 Reviews
Tepoztlan, Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

Are there any spas that you have been to that you could recommend? Thanks!!

6. Re: Week trips from Mexico city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 01, 2009