We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City or Cartagena

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City or Cartagena

Hi,

We (two people early 30s) are deciding between going to Mexico City or Cartagena in November for 3-4 days. Any pros or cons to either? We keep going back and forth!

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City or Cartagena

I have been to both—they are so different! Cartagena is smaller and more concentrated; Mexico City has more diversions, fantastic restaurants, great shopping, and luxury hotels that are a bargain by American or Canadian standards. Cartagena is on the sea with access to beaches; Mexico City is a short drive from archaeological sites. I am actually returning to Cartagena in August, but if I were forced to choose between the two I guess I would pick Mexico City because it offers a more varied experience and greater value for the dollar.

BC
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City or Cartagena

For such a short trip, the travel time is important.

Cartagena is beautiful, but much more expensive than Mexico city. You could definitly enjoy both places.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City or Cartagena

I have been to Mexico City a half dozen times, and Cartagena twice. I think Mexico City has better cultural activities like museums. I think the food is better, too. Cartagena is prettier, and has the potential for beach/water activities. Hard choice, I like them both very much.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City or Cartagena

Depends on what you want, but Mexico City is one of the great cities of the world. In North America, only New York and Mexico City are in that class.

Reply to: Mexico City or Cartagena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted