We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

Hi Mexico experts --

I'd really appreciate some help with planning a 12 day trip with my two daughters. We are flying in/out of Mexico City april 5-17 so we will be there over semana santa and traveling solely by bus/taxi.

We want to go out to the coast and stay about five days in Troncones in the middle of our trip. We also wanted to go to at least two colonial cities -- Taxco and Guanajuato? Taxco and Morelia/Patzcuaro? I can't tell distances/times and whether it's possible to get from Zihua to Morelia or Guanajuato by bus without going back through Mexico City? Also, do we need to reserve buses ahead of time because of Easter etc.? if you could only go to a few of these destinations, which would you pick?

Please, I'd like as much "insiders" advice as possible!!!!

Thank you!!!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

You certainly need to reserve everything for Semana Santa. The good thing is that if you stay in Mexico City between the 5 and the 8 you'll be able to enjoy it without traffic and the usual mess. You will have a good time.

Guanajuato is a must, in my opinion. You could stay there a couple of days, while Taxco is best for a one-day tour from Mexico City.

From those options, I'd go to Mexico City, Guanajuato and Morelia. Why don't consider acapulco instead of Zihuatanejo?

I checked a bus company (estrellablanca.com.mx) and they don't seem to have a direct route Zihua-Morelia ir Guanajuato.

From Mexico City to Guanajuato it takes a little over 3 hours by car. To Morelia it takes less than 4.5, also by car. I used to go relatively often following my footy team. To Taxco I'd think around 2, but I'm not sure about this one, not more than 2.5, for sure.

I hope this helps.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

Wow, that sounds very ambitious. Excluding the days you arrive and depart you will have just 11 full days in Mexico. Due to distances it will occupy the best part of 4 of those days in travelling if you intend visiting 3 places.

If Troncones is a "must" then you should maybe consider flying from Mexico City to Zihua (about 100 USD one-way on Mexicana) to save a 10 hour bus journey. I am sure there must be a bus from Zihua to Morelia (maybe via Uruapan) which is about 6 hours with the new road. Morelia to Guanajuato would be about 3 hours and Guanajuato to Mexico City 3 1/2 hours. Or do the trip in reverse.

I would not detour to Taxco as it's not as interesting as Morelia or Guanajuato. Unless you're really into travelling I think I would do only one of Morelia/Guanajuato and then maybe Taxco as a day-trip from Mexico City.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

I've just done some more bus research and I think JulianM is right - there is no bus that goes directly inland from Zihua - you'd have to come back through Acapulco and Mexico City (yuk). So you could do Mexico City-Taxco-Acapulco-Zihua or stay with the colonial heartland and do Morelia/Guanajuato plus any others (San Miguel, Queretaro etc.) It's difficult to combine the central cities with the beach by bus.

Alternatively you could fly everywhere: Mexico City - Zihua is $100 as is Zihua - Leon (short bus ride from there to Guanajuato).

san francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

Thank you so much everyone, but I'm still trying to sort this out. I hear really conflicting things about Guanajuato; I'm hearing recently that it's crowded and traficky..... but it also looks gorgeous.

Also, I forgot to mention Patzcuaro! We wanted to stay in a nice place we heard about there.

I also forgot to mention that we weren't planning on staying Mexico City at all; I don't handle big cities well. I basically thought we'd either get a bus direct to Patzcuaro or Morelia our first night -- if there are nighttime busses -- or stay at the airport and leave the next morning.

Am I wrong about this? Our flight gets in at 5:30 p.m. on the Thursday before Good Friday!

Thanks so much!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

ETN run bus services from Mexico Poniente bus station (quite a long ride from the airport) to Morelia through to the early hours of the morning. 4.25 hour journey (268 psesos). You could easily move on to Patzcuaro from there which is a very nice place especially the trip across to Janizio island.

Where you go from there......is up to you!

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

Melihaik,

Seems like you have a very interesting route and I guess if you like to take the bus there"s no problem. Allow me to show you my picture of your trip:

From Mexico City go to Taxco with Estrella de Oro (www.autobus.com.mx/edo/index.jsp). From Taxco I'm sure there is no direct service to Zihuatanejo so I'd make my transfer in Acapulco with Estrella de Oro. From Zihuatanejo you can take a taxi to Troncones and when you want to go to Morelia, from Zihua, Estrella de Oro and Primera Plus serve those cities. From Morelia I'm sure you'll find many options to get to Patzcuaro. Primera Plus also serves the route Morelia - Guanajuato. From Guanajuato you can return comfortably on ETN or Primera Plus to Mexico City.

Semana Santa is a very busy week (plus one more week for students I guess), many companies add extra buses to their routes but I'd suggest yo to buy your tickets one or two days in advance in every destination.

Have fun!

M

7. Re: mexico city taxco zihuatanejo loop -- help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 29, 2009