We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Hi TripAdvisor Community,

My friend and I are visiting Mexico City for one day: Monday morning until Sunday morning.

I've heard that a handful of things are closed on Monday, so thought to ask for tips on what activities to do on this day of the week, given the limited time we have. We're also wondering if Teotihuacan + Mexico City in one day would be too stressful considering the time crunch from anyone's experience.

Any thoughts from travelers and locals alike would be much appreciated. Thanks, folks!!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Pyramids are best bet on Monday and then tour area ariund the zocalo abd have dinner at Azul inside the Hotel Downtown just a couple of blocks away.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

"My friend and I are visiting Mexico City for one day: Monday morning until Sunday morning."

Say what? Am I dense or what? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Whoa. We arrive Monday morning at 8am and leave on Tuesday at 8am.

Thanks, folks!

Edited: 1:04 pm, May 19, 2017
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

One day, especially a Monday would be very restrictive. Maybe your best option to get an "overview" for future opportunities would be to do the Turibus "hop off & on" routes that would give you the opportunity for some direct experiences and some ride along experiences? We tend to be very anti-tours but we invested the first day of our very first visit to Mexico City with Turibus and didn't regret it one bit!

www.turibus.com.mx

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

One day - Mexico City ...

that can be overwhelming to squeeze too much into one day that you would not enjoy it.

I recommend spending time in the zocalo in the daytime until the afternoon. there is plenty to see there: the cathedral, the Aztec templo mayor, the national palace with the famous Diego Rivera miurals, the house of tiles, gorgeous main post office and the Palace of fine arts.

this would not even be scratching the surface but this is all you can really see you doing Wednesday and it is plenty. trust us

food? Mexico City is amazing in this regard.

in the Central District surrounding thr zocalo,

breakfast ;

El Cardinal

Cafe Popular

Lunch;

Azul in Hotel Downtown

Dinner:

Hilario gastropub

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Thanks so much, Neil and Dynamisto! I agree that 1 day in the city is a tight squeeze- wish I had more time!

I really appreciate your suggestions!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Damn, I was there on a Monday a few months ago and found ALL the touristy stuff to be closed, we couldn't even go for a walk in Chapultepec park because we found it closed. I've never done it but the hop-on-hop-off bus seems like a good idea because then you can at least get a feel for the layout of the city. Go to the Zocalo and check out the cathedral, can't say for sure but I think Templo Mayor and National Palace would probably be closed.

When we went we ended up going and wandering around in the Camino Real, an upmarket hotel with cool modernist architecture, just because we found everything else to be closed. Had a nice lunch there and then went and wandered around Polanco and got dinner over there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

.... Oh, and do a walk down Reforma avenue if you don't get the bus

BC
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Yes Liam, you are correct. Most museums and museum type places, including Bellas Artes and the National Palace, are closed on Mondays.

The cathedral and the Post office will be open and there are many beautiful buildings to see. Maybe visit some markets?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico City in 1 Day: MONDAY!

Would the Secretary of Public Education building be open on a Monday? That's worth a look and only a short walk from the Cathedral if you're going there. Walking down Av Francisco I Madera or 5 de Mayo is nice too (we walked up one street and back down the other), there are beautiful old buildings including the House of Tiles, and they lead you to the Palacio de Bellas Artes (closed but still lovely to visit the outside) and Central Alameda Park.

If you're going to be walking around and don't have internet access, it's handy to have the Maps.Me app - you can download what cities you will need before you leave home and bookmark the places you want to see, and then access it anywhere without needing wifi or data.