We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
3 posts
Save Topic
Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

Purchased a bottle of sprits in the Dufry Duty Free shop in Terminal 2 of Mexico City International Airport today.The bottle was not wrapped using resealable tamperproof bags instead the used doubled up carrier bags with a plastic cable tie. When questioned I was assured that this would be acceptable for UK customs. In fact it was not and I had my purchase taken off me when entering the UK.The very understanding lady from UK customs says that they often see this on flights from Mexico and she believed that staff selling duty free will skimp on the resealable bags because of the cost. Anyone else coming through the Duty Free area in Mexico City International airport demand a resealable bag if buying spirits or fragrance. I'm going to send an email to Dufry when I get home to make them aware of this practice by some of their staff. I watched others purchasing spirits have their goods wrapped the same way.

BC
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

When did the duty free shops re-open in Terminal 2?

Obviously you must adhere to the very strict requirements of the tamper proof bags if you have connecting flights.

Edited: 2:48 pm, April 11, 2017
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

Apologies. It was Terminal 1. BA to Heathrow.

BC
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I had heard they were all closed down in T2. I always buy in town and pack in my checked bag. I used the tamper proof bag from Barbados one time.

4. Re: Mexico City Duty Free in T2 - tamper proof bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 13, 2018