We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving In Guanajuato

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving In Guanajuato

We have been living at Lake Chapala for several months and the wife wants to pop over to Guanajuato for a few days. One of her friends, who took a bus, adivsed us that there would be guides at the outskirts and we should hire one and take him along in the car because the underground streets, etc. are supposedly very confusing. I have found the Mexicans honest, pleasant, and accepting of foreigners in our 10 months or so here but nonethless, I am not at all enthusiatic about the proposition of hiring a stranger off the roadside. We drove down from Massachusetts and found our way through Monterrey, Zacatecas, Saltillo, Aguas Calientes and Guad without unreasonable difficulty. Anyone out there have experience driving in Guanajuato? All advice would be most welcome.

Guanajuato
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

Guanajuato is a small town so if you don't mind getting a little lost in the tunnels, I think you will be fine.

You don't need a car to get around in Guanajuato (you can see almost anything on foot or take a bus or taxi) so I would get good directions to your hotel and then leave the car there for the duration of your stay!

If you do get hopelessly lost, another good tactic is to flag down a taxi and have him guide you to your destination. That might be more comfortable than having a stranger climb into your car.

Good luck.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

A kindred spirit! We drove down to Guanajuato from NY this past spring. The reply is correct. Once there you should just park your car and not get in it again until you leave. Gto's truly a walking city. Of course you may want to do some side trips to San Miguel and the like.

Also you do not need (and I wouldn't) to pick up one of the kids by the side of the road. Yes, they're there and dying to give directions but no need. Everyone's very friendly and happy to help if you do come out of the subterraneo in the wrong place.

Have a great time. It's our favorite place!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

I would agree, and we were there on a very busy Sunday several weeks ago.

Eventually found a public parking garage - keep (en Espanol)asking and looking .

Wonderful Colonial city!

In my next life, I might live in Gto. or Patzcuaro.

M

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

Once again we'r e on the same page, Mikemo - feel same way about Patzcuaro. In fact, a friend of ours who has a house in Patzcuaro and Guanajuato is visiting us in NYC next week!

Houston
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

If we are driving to Guanajuato from Mexico City, do you think we'll have much trouble finding our hotel if we have the name and the address?? Supposedly the hotel is right by the main jardin. It has been 6 years since i've been to GTO, so i'm sure we'll get lost... but it sounds like most of the native mexicans are willing to help you find your way. And once we find our hotel we will definitely walk the city while we're there. Thank you for your help!!

Guanajuato
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

You shouldn't have any problems finding the hotel. Take the first Guanajuato exit (don't go for the toll road - this is about 10 minutes beyond the first exit and won't save you any time) and follow the signs to the city center. Be sure to ask your hotel if they have parking or where they recommend that you park. Have a good time!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

I agree, but your hotel should provide you with driving directions to their recommended parking places.

M

8. Re: Driving In Guanajuato

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 19, 2009