We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

We are in Guanajuato right now and are astounded that there really is less available for tourists as far as drivers and tours than almost any place we've been, and we've been to many different countries.

We don't need a lot of hand-holding and extensive sight-seeing guidance or explanation. What we are looking for is an agency or an individual that can provide transportation around to some places outside of the town. We are interested in just seeing some places outside the city center--a mine and a hacienda for example-- and would also be interested in doing something perhaps like horseback riding. English speaker a plus but not a must. We've had drivers in other countries who only spoke Spanish, and we've managed fine.

We have already found the info in centro about their standard tours. Does anyone have any other names or suggestions or contacts?

Thanks.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
560 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

Hola! I'm from near Mankato, MN and was in GTO last summer. I attended classes at Escuela Mexicana, 14 Potrero, and they arranged trips -- you could stop and talk to them, they may have a room on a tour, or at least suggestions.

But many of us took off on our own, via bus or taxi, to the Valenciana mine, a hacienda, Dolores Hidalgo, and points beyond. If you lack such a "connection" I'd suggest asking at a big hotel for advice or simply asking a taxi driver to take you to "the sites." You can see on TripAdvisor some options as far as mines, haciendas, and the like. Most of the locals I met were eager to give advice, especially in the bookstores and cafes like Bagel Cafetin and Cafe Tal. I "think" there is horseback riding nearby, and I know there is/was a hot air ballooning outfit.

GTO is very "touristy," but the vast majority of the tourists seem to be from Mexico City. GTO locals were friendly and eager to brag about the local "sites/sights" when we asked them, but you need to push a bit to get past the basic info about the churches, the mercado, the mummy museum and Pipila. ;)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

Ron--

Hello to a fellow Minnesotan. As I am sure you can guess, the weather is better here now than in Minnesota.

Thanks for the suggestions of some places to try to get more info. We'll follow up on them in the next couple days. You've got some good ideas.

We've got some general ideas of the places we'd like to visit but are having difficulty with the logistics of getting there. Do you recall a general ballpark price for the taxi expeditions to the hacienda etc.? Thanks again.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
560 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

Taxis are cheap, IMO. Anything "in town" was 30 pesos last summer. All the way to BJX airport was 300 pesos. If you like to walk and can handle the terrain, all the in-town site are within a kilometer of the center.

Guanajuato GTO
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

You need Ramiro the tour guide - you can find his number by searching the GTO ex-pat forum found at www.gtolist.com

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

6. Re: Drivers or day trips or tours from Guanajuato

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 12, 2014