We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b&bs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
b&bs

We're looking at staying in a B&B in Guanajuato, perhaps Casa de Dona Ana. Such places seem cheaper and nicer than many hotels. Just wondering about the privacy factor. We don't really want to chat to the owners, have breakfast at a communal table, etc

Is it possible to still have the privacy of a hotel at such places?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b&bs

The Holiday Inn Express has rooms for about $80. I think this would suit you better than a B&B.

At a B&B you'd have to talk to the manager and sit with other guests at breakfast: the horror, the horror.

Guanajuato, GTO...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: b&bs

ana & mike of casa dona ana are warm and friendly people that would be inviting you into their home as guests. I doubt that they would be able to provide the impersonal service you seek. unfortunately they would do more that feed and clean up after you. ana does not run a restaurant in her home. She gets up early to prepare a meal for the morning. your options would be the communal table with some awkward moments. or you could ask her to prepare your breakfast before everyone else. but that might be asking a lot from someone you would rather not chat with. or you could come and eat re-warmed left-overs after everyone else has finished.

you are looking for taxi service for the price of a bus. However, i'm sure you could find a B&B owner so desperate for your money that they would be able to provide the impersonal service you are looking for with very simple breakfast snack that needs little preparation. just look at lower ranked B&Bs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: b&bs

no need to take offence.. i wouldnt expect b&b owners to do anything for us the comment about 'taxi service for price of a bus' is ludicrous. if you had actually read my initial post, the reason i like b&bs is that they are *cheaper* than hotels and *nicer* - also as stated in original post we do not want *service*, purely somewhere nice to stay. we can entertain ourselves and my partner can be quite shy at times. so please, spare me the attitude.

i quite like to say hello the the hotel owners on arrival and when leaving, but beyond that we are not needing the conversation and entertainment that you, rickzuniga, appear to expect as your right . condemning other people's preference for their own company in the process.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b&bs

And thank you Londinense for your suggestion. I will look into it.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b&bs

I fear, OP, that you are the one with an attitude, at least in your first posting. Mexicans are exceptionally warm-hearted people and you came over as a stuck-up foreigner. If you don't want to inter-act with people, then you are going to have a tough time here! Being nice and friendly to people will get you a lot further than acting cool and reserved. Don't forget that many Mexicans have worked north of the border and experienced the casual racism there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: b&bs

I certainly am not a 'stuck up foreigner' and have travelled to central america previously. friendliness is one of the things i like are the area, however that said when we are in our hotel we prefer to not have to always be interacting with others. its really quite simple.. i cannot see how a question regarding the atmosphere of particular accommodations would suggest anything otherwise.

i am not american, i am australian. perhaps we aussies are more comfortable with speaking openly about things. who knows. but it really does irk me when people ask questions on forums to be jumped on by the 'travel elite.' you see it regularly and its not how i interact with people. if someone asks a question, i try and help them answer it. now that is what friendliness is about.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: b&bs

but anyway, i think my question was answered (in a round about way). so thanks. anytime you need info about melbourne - just ask. mexico looks like a truely lovely country and we cannot wait to get there!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: b&bs

Ok that's got that off our chests!

You might want to look at the Zopilote Mojado, which doesn't serve breakfasts. I like the annexe (with only 3 rooms I think, plus a sitting area and kitchen where you can make a cuppa). It's very central and very quiet, as no traffic passes it.

However you go, you'll enjoy Guanajuato. Buen viaje.

Edited: 7:15 pm, January 18, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: b&bs

yes, the air is clear :)

thanks for your advice, the Zopolite was actually my number 2 choice! followed by hotel poetas. Although the last one is a little out of our budget.

I'm thinking of spending 3 nights in Guanajuato and 2 in San Miguel. Does that seem about right?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: b&bs

I stayed at Poetas a few years ago and thought it overpriced and a bit gloomy.

Your balance is right. You could travel to San Miguel via Dolores and have a couple of hours there.