We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO 182305 - Casita from Hell

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO 182305 - Casita from Hell

I rented this casita for the month of April @ 950US to enjoy life in a mexican town and attend Spanish classes, the owners are from the US. The casita is beautiful according to the pictures and description, it is tastefully decorated and very well appointed. The owner's house is on the same property higher on the hill and is magnificient. There are 3 dogs on the property including the visiting stray. Its location is Ex-Hacieda Duran.

The problem is that it is in an undesirable location. From centro you need to walk through the Santa Fe tunnel (near Diego Rivera Museum) approx 1K, then go up a relatively steep and curvy hill shared by two-way traffic, pedestrians must walk on uneven cobblestone and shave the walls. It is not the easy walk described on the listing. A taxi from the entrance of the tunnel is 30 pesos, from the house 50 pesos because you have to call. It is not a pretty or conventionial residential area, along and at the end of the road there is a cluster of houses each accessible through their own gate or private road. Less than 200 meters there is an active mine at the prospection stage and somewhere around there is an active mine that blasts regularly and once two hours in a row. In addition, it is full of dogs, barking dogs day and night. The neighbours dogs were on top the roof of my room and I could hear them pacing and barking like they were in the house. It seems people in that area keep (untrained) dogs to guard there property but all they do is bark and the sound is amplified by the environment. Once your behind the gate thats it. There is no way to go for a walk in the neighbourhood unless you want to visit the nearby mine.

The owners were away the first two weeks of my stay and we were greeted by their very nice friends who were house sitting and looking after the dogs. I was very surprised to find dogs since the listing mentioned among other NO PETS. I expressed my disappointment to them, My husband left on the 6th instead of the 10th because he could not stand it anymore and he loves dogs. My friend moved in with me the following week and we left for Queretaro for the weekend.

The owners came back on the 13th, they have a key to the casita, this is not unsual. My friend and I moved out with our belongins in a hurry the morning of the 15th with the assistance of authorities. We moved in with a kind mexican family, instead of spending additional money on other accomodation to finish the month I elected to go visit my family in Canada.

Guanajuato is a beautiful and interesting town, unfortunately not my best travel experience.

1. Re: VRBO 182305 - Casita from Hell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 16, 2010