We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

My 20 year old daughter will be visiting early May. She will be staying with a family there. It will be her first time in this area. What things should I suggest she see and do while there (some fun things too).

Are there good restaurants you can recommend?

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

Hi LoisInsiderTips,

What interests does your daughter have? Does she speak Spanish?

Guanajuato has lots of cultural events (almost all conducted in Spanish) and lots of places to visit. There are several interesting places to visit in the surrounding area that would make good day trips.

Guanajuato has several good restaurants. What kind of food does your daughter like and what is her budget?

The family with whom your daughter will be staying will probably be able to suggest activities and restaurants as well.

Cindi

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

Hi Cindi,

She enjoys the culture of Mexico. She speaks the street spanish she learned through high school and with having several Mexican friends throughout high school. Don't think she is interested in museums, however.

She likes the type of American/Mexican food we get in the mid-south. She loves steaks, like some gourmet type foods as well. Loves caesar salads.

I'm sure who she will visit will provide info, but I wanted to provide her with some info before she went so she would be sure not to miss it.

Thanks

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

Hi LoisInsiderTips,

Will your daughter be studying at a Spanish school or at the University? The Spanish schools sometimes offer trips/tours/outings that may interest her.

Guanajuato has several interesting museums and churches, but those may not be up her alley. There are often cultural events (concerts, art exhibits, lectures, and so forth) to attend.

If your daughter likes Tex-Mex, she won't find much here...other than nachos. Some of Guanajuato's restaurants serve hamburgers and pizza, there are a couple of Italian restaurants as well as vegetarian, Japanese and French restaurants.

Not many places in Guanajuato have salads like one can find in the USA. Salads in most Mexican restaurants are more like a garnish...some shredded lettuce, a slice or two of tomato and cucumber and that's it.

The two restaurants where she can find USA-type salads are Casa Valadez (on the corner of the Jardín de la Unión.... Guanajuato's main plaza) and El Midi (in Plaza San Fernando).

Steak in central Mexico is not the same as what you will find in Virginia (or Kansas City, where I'm from). Steaks are rather thin and can be a bit tough. Casa Valadez has the best steaks I've found in Guanajuato.

She will find lots of traditional Mexican food...enchiladas, mole (a spicy-semisweet sauce generally served over chicken or turkey), tortas (a type of sandwich), tamales, arrachera, carnitas, and more. She won't find Taco Bell-type food.

I hope that helps a bit and I hope your daughter will have a great time in Guanajuato!

Cindi

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

That helps a lot. Just wanted to have some ideas for her.

She will not be studying while there -- she had 4 years of Spanish in high school and has lots of hispanic friends (she is Italian), so she know the street spanish. She is visiting a family there.

Thank for your help.

5. Re: Guanajuato - Restaurants, Sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 17, 2010