We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanajuato lodgings( casa de dante?)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Guanajuato lodgings( casa de dante?)

hello,im planning on visiting Gto either this weekend or next and I read up some on Casa de Dante.I see its a 10-15 minute walk outside of the centro.im wondering if anyone knows how the place is and is the walk safe at night,being that after the sights during the day we usually like to hang out late exploring the local nightlife.also i've never stayed in a hostel/b&b,do they normally have an issue with guest returning late?some seem like private homes.i emailed casa dante and they said there was no curfew,but i'd like to be comfortable with everything.thanks anyone who can share

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanajuato lodgings( casa de dante?)

Hi txsat,

The walk between Casa de Dante and downtown (10-20 minutes, depending on how fast you walk) is fairly flat, but the hostel is located quite a few steps up from the street (Paseo de la Presa). One review said 176 steps; another said 180 steps plus more steps inside the hostel.

There are frequent buses between downtown and Paseo de la Presa, but they only run until around 11 p.m. You can hail a cab on the street or ask a restaurant or bar employee to call one for you.

As far as safety, take the same precautions you would in any unfamiliar city. I would encourage you to walk with a group back to the hostel at night rather than alone. Better yet, take a taxi to Paseo de la Presa at the bottom of the steps leading to the hostel and be alert. Callejones are often dark and have little foot traffic, especially at night.

A friend of mine, who has lived in Guanajuato for the past fifteen years, lives off of Paseo de la Presa, but a bit closer to the Presa de la Olla than Casa de Dante.

One night, she and a woman friend walked home after a party at a friend's house in the downtown area (it was 2 a.m.). They didn't encounter any problems until they turned into the street where my friend lives. Close to her house, she and her friend were held up at gunpoint by several young men who had cased her house and were waiting for her to return.

She and her friend were both robbed (neither had much money, but the friend had a cell phone and other electronic gadgets). My friend was beaten up severely enough that she had to go to the hospital overnight.

Granted, this is one incident and my friend admitted it was not a smart thing to be walking home at 2 a.m., especially as two elderly women.

Guanajuato is relatively safe if one does not engage in risky behavior.

Have a great time!

Cindi

2. Re: Guanajuato lodgings( casa de dante?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:29 am, October 20, 2009