We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London
4 posts
Save Topic
Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

I am about to start a language school on 9 April 2007 in Guanjuato. I am 22 and was wondering what the general age for those studying spanish would be? would it be better to study someehere else in order to meet younger people?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

When I was in Guanajuato, I saw many young language students.

However, there will probably be more young students during the summer, because university students in US/Canada will be on break.

Cuernavaca is also likely to have many young students.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
118 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

Hello,

When I studied in Gto. I was 20 and there were many young people....but, depending on how long you stay you will see more in the summer. Around the middle part of June a large number of American college students travel to Gto. to study. You always have the young Mexican crowd since the University is one of the largest in Mexico. I will be traveling back for a month this June-July... and now that I'm 28, I will still feel like I fit in... keep my email if you have any questions. I love to talk about my favorite place in the world! :-)

London
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

i HAVE JUST started school today and it seems like there are lots of older people. Can you recommend a good way to meet people here in Guanajuato?

South Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

I will be starting at a language school there in 2 weeks. I am 25, which school are you going to? And how do you like it so far?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

How long will you be in Guanajuato?

When I was in Mexico, it was mostly older people until the third week of May...then hundreds of younger people arrived...then I wished that there were more older people...

If you're brave, you could hang out in the plaza at night and try to meet some young Mexican university students...there are so many of them.

Also, it's common to see young foreign students in the internet cafes near the plaza...it might be a little awkward to randomly start talking to them though...

London
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

I am studying at Escuela Mexicana and it's really good school. There is a younger crowd there, although there are only about 20 people in total at the school, at the moment.

The teachers are good and even though I'm paying for group classes, 2 out of 4 classes are private at the moment.

I have heard that it gets busier nearer to the summer,

Are you going to be staying with a mexican family or are you finding your own accomodation. I think that how much you enjoy beiing here depends alot on where you are staying.

Hope thats useful?

Washington state
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

Hi kaffy1985,

I am curious about your comment about where you are staying can have an impact on how you enjoy your trip. Are you staying with a host family, and if so, what has been your experience so far? If not, where are you staying? I am scheduled to begin classes at Escuela Mexicana next Monday (although I am by no means a young person!), and would love to hear about your experience with both the school and your lodging. Did you have any Spanish language skills before you arrived at Guanajuato? How is the weather there, and are the nights cold?

Thanks!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
118 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

Hi Kaffy,

Yes, around the second week of June many young American university students will arrive.... including the group with whom I studied a few years ago.

But, keep in mind....... If you are there to learn Spanish it is best to seek out Mexican friends. I know it's difficult. But, "vale la pena", it's worth it.

I am a Spanish teacher in the U.S. and I'm going back soon for a month to do some academic research. I'm hoping to meet some people, as well. I'm in the middle.. I'm 29.. not college level, yet not ancient, either. :-) but, all age levels can be found. But, the town is full of younger people since it's a college town.

Feel free to email if you have any questions. I've been to Guanajuato many times and would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Hope you are enjoying your stay.

BTW... Since my specialty area is linguistics I'd be interested in knowing if you were ready for the Mexican dialect. In most of Europe Spain's Castillian Spanish is taught (unlike that of the U.S.). Hopefully, your Spanish is growing.

9. Re: Young independent Travellers in Guanajuato

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 30, 2009