We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

I have been told that Guadalajara could be busy. Can someone share their experience with driving in Guadalajara and surrounding areas and or tacking taxis?

I may be staying at the Hampton Inn/Expo and have been told that Minerva and La Glorieta de los Caballos area the best areas to go at night for dinner. This area is a little far walking distance from the Hampton Inn but I can stay at the hotel with points so it is my 1st contender if driving or taxying is a viable option and the cost/risk/benefit comparison adds up positively.

If you have suggestions on safety of taking taxis, GPS options if we choose to drive and ease of finding parking spots please feel free to share.

Thanks!

Karen Melissa

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

Taxis are safe and inexpensive in Guadalajara. Traffic can be heavy, and parking is often hard to find.

I'd recommend taxis.

Av. Chapultepec is a great area for bars, coffee shops, restaurants and strolling.

Edited: 3:29 pm, April 08, 2014
Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

Thank you very much. It it is good to know that I would have option if I choose not to rent a car.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

was considering going to Guadalajara from PV during Samana Santa and was thinking of taking the newer route that begins just north of PV. We will be driving an older camper van which is - to say the least - a bit of a beast to drive. We were told that it is a very narrow with many switchbacks - basically not recommeded for us and our beast. Has anyone taken this route recently? Was also told that there were pyramids along that route somewhere? Any info would be helpful

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

Not sure of the "newer route" you are speaking of, but I've taken a few different routes in a bus between GDL, Tepic, PV and San Blas. You are going to encounter narrow winding roads in all the routes I've seen (the closer you get to the coast, outside GDL itself are some pretty straight shots).

Your "beast" is most likely going to be a bit better at maneuvering than a bus, but do bear in mind:

1) If there's a problem on the road, you'll be stuck for a while

2) It's going to be slow-going in many places no matter what you do

3) You MUST keep your mind on the road at all times, a momentary lapse in some places can be a disaster

If there's a safe place to leave your beast, you might think about riding in. To the poster above, take the taxis, I would never bother with a rental car in GDL unless I was a geologist or something going out to the boonies to look at random rocks outside the city somewhere.

David

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlSurMedia

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

There are city busses to and from el Centro...6 pesos each way. Hotel staff will give you bus number. Let the driver know your destination....dos Templos gets you historical center. People on bus always helpful as well.

Guadalajara, Mexico
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

I'd suggest taxis. They are cheap and reliable, plus, I've heard horror stories of car rentals in GDL from friends.

And Chapultapec is probably the best area for restaurants in GDL. There are some areas in Zapopan that are really neat too such as near the basilica.

7. Re: Driving in Guadalajara or tacking taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2015